“A period of profound thaw has set in in Russia-NATO ties. I am sure that we are close to a breakthrough,” said Vladimir Voronkov, head of the ministry’s European cooperation department.
Russia and NATO are certain to achieve close cooperation as there are no insurmountable ideological disagreements between them, he told a student forum.
This “progress” is largely due to the situation within the North Atlantic military alliance, he said.
“NATO has reached the limit of expansion,” Voronkov said, adding that there were no more Central or East European countries lining up to join the alliance.
“This points to a basically new level of relations,” he said. “It is very important for Russia that NATO regards us not as an adversary but as a strategic partner.”
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- Gaza/Israel clashes thread
- F-35 - International Participation
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards