“A period of profound thaw has set in in Russia-NATO ties. I am sure that we are close to a breakthrough,” said Vladimir Voronkov, head of the ministry’s European cooperation department.
Russia and NATO are certain to achieve close cooperation as there are no insurmountable ideological disagreements between them, he told a student forum.
This “progress” is largely due to the situation within the North Atlantic military alliance, he said.
“NATO has reached the limit of expansion,” Voronkov said, adding that there were no more Central or East European countries lining up to join the alliance.
“This points to a basically new level of relations,” he said. “It is very important for Russia that NATO regards us not as an adversary but as a strategic partner.”
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- North Korean Military.
- Japanese self defense force Maritime VS People's Liberation Army Navy
- Principles of Strategy and Tactics
- South Korean Navy
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Chinese 'air defence identification zone' in East China Sea
- Implications of Scottish Independence
- US Navy News and updates
- Iraqi Air Force and Air Defense
- Indian Military Aviation; News, Updates & Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Singapore Army Pictures
- F-18 Advanced Hornet
- Stealthiest yet : RQ-180 Revealed
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates