Russia and India started on Monday the preparation for joint INDRA-2012 military exercises scheduled to be held in Russia this summer, a spokesman for Russia’s Eastern Military District said.
“An Indian military delegation arrived on Monday in Ulan Ude [in Russia’s Far East] to discuss the preparation for INDRA-2012 military drills to be held this summer,” Lt. Col. Alexander Gordeyev said.
Russian and Indian military officials will reconnoiter the terrain at the training range where the drills will be held, the spokesman said.
Since 2003, India and Russia have conducted five of the INDRA series joint ground and naval exercises. The last such exercise was held between Russian and Indian army units in India in October 2010.
However, Russia cancelled both INDRA-series ground and naval exercises last year despite an earlier announcement by the Russian General Staff that INDRA drills may be held every year and involve three branches of the armed forces.
Relations between India and Russia have suffered in recent years from the delayed refit of the aircraft carrier, Admiral Gorshkov, and the poor sourcing of components for Russian-made equipment operated by the Indian armed forces.
India remains, though, a key buyer of Russian weaponry.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:india-US war drill pics
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- ADF General discussion thread
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Assad's strategic options
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- The Indonesian Army
- S.Korea, Indonesia to develop 4.5 gen. fighter aircraft F-33