Russia and India started on Monday the preparation for joint INDRA-2012 military exercises scheduled to be held in Russia this summer, a spokesman for Russia’s Eastern Military District said.
“An Indian military delegation arrived on Monday in Ulan Ude [in Russia’s Far East] to discuss the preparation for INDRA-2012 military drills to be held this summer,” Lt. Col. Alexander Gordeyev said.
Russian and Indian military officials will reconnoiter the terrain at the training range where the drills will be held, the spokesman said.
Since 2003, India and Russia have conducted five of the INDRA series joint ground and naval exercises. The last such exercise was held between Russian and Indian army units in India in October 2010.
However, Russia cancelled both INDRA-series ground and naval exercises last year despite an earlier announcement by the Russian General Staff that INDRA drills may be held every year and involve three branches of the armed forces.
Relations between India and Russia have suffered in recent years from the delayed refit of the aircraft carrier, Admiral Gorshkov, and the poor sourcing of components for Russian-made equipment operated by the Indian armed forces.
India remains, though, a key buyer of Russian weaponry.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:india-US war drill pics
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Navy Carrier Battle Group composition
- Ukranian Crisis
- Cooling system supplier for Wheeled armored vehicle
- Gaza/Israel clashes thread
- Indonesian Aero News
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates