Russia on Tuesday carried out a successful test-launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile, news agencies reported citing the defence ministry, amid a standoff between Moscow and the West over Ukraine.
Interfax and ITAR-TASS quoted the defence ministry as saying a successful test of the RS-12M Topol ICBM had been carried out from Russia’s Kapustin Yar rocket launch site near the Caspian Sea at 9:08 pm Moscow time (1708 GMT).
The missile hit its target in the Sary Shagan ballistic missile test range that Russia leases in Kazakhstan, it said.
“The purpose of the launch was to test a prospective warhead of intercontinental ballistic missiles,” Interfax quoted defence ministry spokesman Igor Yegorov as saying, without providing further details.
Russia reportedly carried out previous tests in December and March of the RS-12M Topol, a road-mobile missile first put into service in the 1980s and then repeatedly modified.
It is referred to as the SS-25 Sickle by NATO and has a reported maximum range of 10,000 kilometres (6,200 miles).
Russia earlier this month test-launched several ballistic missions during military exercises overseen by President Vladimir Putin.
The tests have been conducted amid a continued standoff between Russia and the West over Ukraine, where Moscow seized the Crimean peninsula in March and pro-Russian rebels have taken control of parts of the east of the country.
Tensions seem to have eased in recent days however, ahead of a presidential vote on Sunday aimed at bringing Ukraine out of crisis.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:intercontinental ballistic missile wallpaper, russia missile launch, russia missle weapons
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Scottish Navy
- Ukranian Crisis
- Active Modern Military Aircraft Question...Need Input
- What/Who downed MH17 ?
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Scottish Independence
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- British Army News and Discussion
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Assad's strategic options