Modular, cost-effective remote weapon station for combat vehicles
Raytheon Company will unveil its BattleGuard modular weapon system at the U.S. Army 2012 Maneuver Conference, which runs Sept. 18-19. BattleGuard is an integrated Electro-Optical Infrared and visible sensor with a weapon station that accurately identifies targets beyond the maximum effective range of weapons systems – more than twice that of competing technologies.
“BattleGuard is an affordable, low-risk solution for combat vehicles that enhances the commander’s mission capability,” said Glynn Raymer, vice president of Combat and Sensing Systems in Raytheon’s Network Centric Systems business.
“The significance to the commander is the plug-and-play nature of the system. It is easy and fast to change configuration, to take off and put on another device, providing additional and immediate vehicle and squad protection,” he added.
Designed for tracked and wheeled combat vehicles, BattleGuard provides trained operators with 360 degrees of “under armor” unobstructed coverage. It also offers a high performance 2nd or 3rd generation FLIR (Forward Looking Infrared) – a threat detection system that enables classification, recognition and identification of stationary and moving targets beyond the maximum effective ranges of threat weapons.
The system supports a number of machine and chain guns, including the M249, M240, M2, MK-19, MK-47, M134 and the M230LF. It also supports hard- or soft-launch missiles such as the Griffin, Javelin, Stinger and TOW, and non-lethal weapons.
Raytheon Company, with 2011 sales of $25 billion and 71,000 employees worldwide, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security and other government markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 90 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as a broad range of mission support services. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass.
Related Topic Tags
- Army & Land Forces News, army vehicles, BattleGuard, combat vehicles, conference, raytheon, remote weapon station, weapon system
Keywords:battleguard weapon system, raytheon battleguard
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- F-35 - International Participation
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- UFO or secret fighter jet?
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Armored Vehicle Recognition Guide
- Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel
- Land 400
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Question from Military Fiction Author on bridge destruction