The U.S. Air Force awarded Raytheon a firm-fixed-price $81.7 million option for Lot 6 on the Lot 5 contract for the production and delivery of 202 MALD-J jammers and containers. The contract also includes a 10-year warranty. The contract was awarded in Raytheon’s first quarter of 2013.
“MALD-J adds a jamming capability to the current decoy function of the MALD that disrupts enemy integrated air defense systems using jamming and radar signature technology,” said Harry Schulte, vice president of Air Warfare Systems for Raytheon Missile Systems.
“This weapon will provide unprecedented capability and flexibility to the U.S. Air Force and improve the survivability of our Airmen and their aircraft.”
Performance of the contract will take place primarily at the Raytheon Company facility located in Tucson, Ariz.
MALD is a state-of-the-art, low-cost flight vehicle that is modular, air-launched and programmable. It weighs less than 300 pounds and has a range of approximately 500 nautical miles.
MALD protects aircraft and their crews by duplicating the combat flight profiles and signatures of U.S. and allied aircraft. MALD-J adds radar-jamming capability to the basic MALD platform.
- MALD confuses enemy air defenses by duplicating friendly aircraft flight profiles and radar signatures.
- MALD-J maintains all capabilities of MALD and adds jamming capabilities.
- Raytheon began delivery of MALD-Js in the fall of 2012.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Stealthiest yet : RQ-180 Revealed
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Iran Nuclear Ambitions
- Mexico nuke scare
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Chinese 'air defence identification zone' in East China Sea
- Stealth Aircraft Operation
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Singapore Army Pictures
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- F-35 - International Participation
- Potential of international arbitration to change Timor Sea Treaty
- Movies with good Jet Air Combat?