The U.S. Air Force awarded Raytheon a firm-fixed-price $81.7 million option for Lot 6 on the Lot 5 contract for the production and delivery of 202 MALD-J jammers and containers. The contract also includes a 10-year warranty. The contract was awarded in Raytheon’s first quarter of 2013.
“MALD-J adds a jamming capability to the current decoy function of the MALD that disrupts enemy integrated air defense systems using jamming and radar signature technology,” said Harry Schulte, vice president of Air Warfare Systems for Raytheon Missile Systems.
“This weapon will provide unprecedented capability and flexibility to the U.S. Air Force and improve the survivability of our Airmen and their aircraft.”
Performance of the contract will take place primarily at the Raytheon Company facility located in Tucson, Ariz.
MALD is a state-of-the-art, low-cost flight vehicle that is modular, air-launched and programmable. It weighs less than 300 pounds and has a range of approximately 500 nautical miles.
MALD protects aircraft and their crews by duplicating the combat flight profiles and signatures of U.S. and allied aircraft. MALD-J adds radar-jamming capability to the basic MALD platform.
- MALD confuses enemy air defenses by duplicating friendly aircraft flight profiles and radar signatures.
- MALD-J maintains all capabilities of MALD and adds jamming capabilities.
- Raytheon began delivery of MALD-Js in the fall of 2012.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Indian Navy contemplating CVN. Folly or Vision?
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russia's Arctic Expansion
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Philippine Navy @ Janes Fighting Ships 2014-2015
- F-35 - International Participation
- ASEAN (and ADMM Plus) Military Exercises
- Assad's strategic options
- Indonesian Aero News