The U.S. Navy and Raytheon Company have begun integrating the Miniature Air Launched Decoy Jammer variant into the U.S. Navy’s fleet of F/A-18 E/F Super Hornets. The integration process will include a series of risk reduction activities and technology demonstrations.
MALD is a state-of-the-art, low-cost flight vehicle that is modular, air-launched and programmable. It weighs less than 300 pounds and has a range of approximately 500 nautical miles (about 575 statute miles). MALD protects aircraft and their crews by duplicating the combat flight profiles and signatures of U.S. and allied aircraft. The MALD-J adds radar-jamming capability to the basic MALD platform.
“MALD will save sailors lives because it saturates enemy integrated air defense systems, causing them to attack the wrong target instead of attacking our aircraft,” said Harry Schulte, vice president of Air Warfare Systems for Raytheon Missile Systems.
To ensure that MALD is suitable for shipboard operations, Raytheon is working with the U.S. Navy to make sure the weapon is capable of withstanding the rigors of taking off and landing on aircraft carriers. Raytheon is also leveraging MALD’s modularity, enabling sailors to rapidly change the weapon’s electronic warfare payload in response to threats.
- MALD confuses enemy air defenses by duplicating friendly aircraft flight profiles, radar signatures.
- MALD-J keeps all capabilities of MALD and adds jamming capabilities.
- Raytheon is scheduled to begin delivering MALD-Js later this year.
Raytheon Company, with 2011 sales of $25 billion and 71,000 employees worldwide, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security and other government markets throughout the world. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass.
Related Topic Tags
- air show, F-18, Farnborough, Jamming, MALD-J, Navy & Maritime Security News, radar, radar jamming, raytheon, US navy
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Indonesian Army
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- DT Hall of Shame - Ban List
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012
- Regional implications of PKK's truce with Turkey
- Russia might make ICBM submersible
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Surface vessel decoys and countermeasures
- U.S. Army use of ETD/EDS & CIED doctrine
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- JF-17 Thunder / FC-1 / Super-7 Discussions
- Aircraft Surveillance Operator RAAF
- Tactical Nuclear weapons - still relevant?