A common characteristic of a system that is handling too much money is that it neither knows nor cares how much money it is spending on its own major assets.
The U.S. Air Force does not keep complete records on the cost to operate and support its aircraft and misreports those costs on the rare occasion it is asked to. These costs are not inconsequential; typically, they are twice the cost to initially buy the aircraft.
Winslow Wheeler reports in a new study for the Straus Military Reform Project.
Most USAF Aircraft Operating Costs Are Unknown (259 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Singapore Navy
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- NZDF General discussion thread
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Royal Navy Carrier Battle Group composition
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates