A common characteristic of a system that is handling too much money is that it neither knows nor cares how much money it is spending on its own major assets.
The U.S. Air Force does not keep complete records on the cost to operate and support its aircraft and misreports those costs on the rare occasion it is asked to. These costs are not inconsequential; typically, they are twice the cost to initially buy the aircraft.
Winslow Wheeler reports in a new study for the Straus Military Reform Project.
Most USAF Aircraft Operating Costs Are Unknown (231 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Singapore Navy
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Indonesian Aero News
- Unidentified beeping sound
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Reinstitute US Pershing 2 for use vs A2/AD?
- Assad's strategic options
- US Navy News and updates
- F-35 - International Participation
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates