A common characteristic of a system that is handling too much money is that it neither knows nor cares how much money it is spending on its own major assets.
The U.S. Air Force does not keep complete records on the cost to operate and support its aircraft and misreports those costs on the rare occasion it is asked to. These costs are not inconsequential; typically, they are twice the cost to initially buy the aircraft.
Winslow Wheeler reports in a new study for the Straus Military Reform Project.
Most USAF Aircraft Operating Costs Are Unknown (260 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- RMAF Future; need opinions
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Assad's strategic options
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- UAV for Meteorological duty.
- US Navy News and updates
- World Air force directory
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- [ List of "Active" Military Aircraft ] All Nations