Russia - General Discussion.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

BBC Report on Russian parade of Western Armoured vehicle. Reinforce notion of deviance toward West, and building confidence of Russian public.

literally real life trolling. There were even suggestions that destroyed Leopard tanks should be put on display in Moscow in front of the Germany embassy.
20240502_051759.jpg

This images have been circling around on Pro Russian accounts. Basically comparing Leopard 2 being capture recently, with German Reich Tanks being capture 80 years ago when Red Army drive West. Incidentally some of those Tanks capture in 1944 also come from Ukrainian front.

So yes, it is basically trolling by Russian toward Western Alliance. Ironically in 1944 Red Army drove West against common enemy with Western Allies.

KipPotapych

The West should put up a show of seized oligarch yachts and other assets. Perhaps a picture of the An-124 seized in Toronto which I believe has now been turned over to Ukraine. BTW I guess Russia won't be paying the million dollar parking fee Pearson Airport was charging. Having been screwed around by Canada's worst airport, I will give Russia a pass on that invoice.:p
The airplane is still sitting at the YYZ. Saw it myself just over two months ago, the last time I was in Toronto. It is sitting in the quiet corner and has not been moved in years now.

When you invade a country, blowback from the invaded country's friends is a fair move.
I recently commented on the subject in this or the other thread, but will add a little more. I am 100% with Feanor on the dirty move here and the cargo was the rapid Covid tests, 77 tonnes worth, and they were… for us. We closed our airspace for the Russian planes just before this one was going to depart (an hour or two before the departure, I believe, and would take a guess and say that the timing was for exactly this reason). Then we put the sanctions on the owner of the aircraft, the company called Volga Dnepr. All this while YYZ was demanding the parking fees, some of which, I believe, the Russian company paid in the beginning (though, I believe it is us - the government of Canada - who is on the hook for these fees, really). Then, a year and a half later, we passed the law that allowed us to seize the aircraft (and assets of any other individual (or a corporate entity) that we deem worth sanctioning). The law is probably in violation of international law, our own Charter, etc. Some experts say it’s ok though, which I really doubt (but I am no expert). So aside from dirty, the move was also potentially (and I personally think probably) illegal. Which is why the plane is still sitting in Toronto and likely will for the foreseeable future. I can clearly see us having to pay the fees the airport incurred, return the aircraft to the owner, pay some additional money to the owner, along with maintenance fees, and so on. Like I said in my previous post on the subject, our current government has to run ahead of the train on every issue, no matter how stupid and what it costs us (usually a whole lot) and they are extremely good at further discouraging already stagnating foreign investment. I am sure you are well aware of the issue, John, haha. This is no different. But we just have to show support in any crazy way possible - I mean our lawmakers gave a standing ovation to an actual nazi, lol. At least we are finally going to deliver 10 of the 50 promised ACSVs this summer and the Ukes will be able to use them in the fall after training somewhere in Europe.

This is behind a paywall, but there is some discussion on the subject of legality and whatnot:

Last comment. I would also suggest that the company, Volga Dnepr, did not invade any country, but brought medical supplies that needed at the time. Our overall response is pretty embarrassing, actually. But the talk sure is loud.