PRC Peoples Liberation Army Navy

Ananda

The Bunker Group

CCTV few hours ago put video on Fujian completion of 8 days maiden sea trials. Claim as succes as all basic propulsion and electronic systems for sea operations perform as expected.

Seems they are in line for aircraft trials but year end, as some rumours in Chinese media and online enthusiasts claiming. Perhaps that's more to deck landing by helicopters or touch and go fighters trials. I'm still doubt PLA will conduct their EMALS live trials by end of this year.

Some onlines Chinese forumers speculate that each class of carriers will be in two. Thus #1-2 was STOBAR carriers, #3-4 will be this Conventions CATOBAR carriers, while #5-6 will be Nuclear CATOBAR carriers. Thus fulfill PLA supposedly target to have 6 CAG operational by early next decade.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A working EMALS with GT supplied power will be very interesting. Power problems could make the Fujian a single vessel class and the next carrier will be nuclear. The other important item is a working J-35 which, even with modest stealth, will increase the PLAN's aviation strike capability.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
working EMALS with GT supplied power will be very interesting.
For me, problem with the talks on EMALS going to have problem to work on non nuclear carriers, come mostly from calculations on US EMALS power consumption. I'm not saying China ones will use less power, but Chinese EMALS as far as I know had no reliable data open for their power consumption. Just to have to wait and see the results of their operations with Fujian.

Could it be Fujian will be sole carrier in the class? Could Fujian actually only be use as test bed for EMALS before being switch to next class of CVN? All have possibilities, but using one of carrier as trial bed for systems going to be use on next CVN, it is very expensive move, even for China.

Personally I tend to agree with some rumours on Chinese online enthusiasts forums. PLAN will move gradually before goes to CVN with STOBAR class first, then follow with Conventional CATOBAR class, with each has 2 carriers. Still with China, they are could be some surprises in corner.