Indian Navy Discussions and Updates

Redlands18

Viraat/Hermes was laid down in 1944, but work suspended in 1945 because the war was over (many ships were scrapped unfinished), resumed in 1952 to clear the slipway, launched in 1953 then work suspended again, & finally commissioned in 1959, with an angled deck & other changes from the original design.

Much the same for Hercules/Vikrant. Laid down 1943, launched 1945, work suspended 1946. Bought by India in 1957 & commissioned, modified, in 1961.
Not bad for ships that were supposed to serve for only 3-5 years.

el Cid

Navantia has just approved the acceptance of aip system in Spain, it works, it has resistance, it is ready for service, it is a big point for the requirement of the Indian Navy for the submarine program. Aip Best of S80plus submarine from Spain, 3 weeks at 300 kws, 4 knots submerged.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Navantia has just approved the acceptance of aip system in Spain, it works, it has resistance, it is ready for service, it is a big point for the requirement of the Indian Navy for the submarine program. Aip Best of S80plus submarine from Spain, 3 weeks at 300 kws, 4 knots submerged.
Source please.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Your link does not shown talk on Navantia is offering S80 and AIP system to India Submarine tender. This is afterall Indian Navy Thread.

Simple googling you can add link that shown Navantia already offer submarine to Indian tender. This going to make your claim S80 for Indian navy relevant.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Third P-15B destroyer project deliver to Indian Navy. This ship will also housed improved Brahmo that have capabilities for both naval and land attack. Faster delivery for Indian yard is important to shown they have improve their productivity capabilities.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Ananda

The Bunker Group

India will procure C295 base MPA which they call Medium Range Maritime Patrol. 9 for Navy and 6 for Coast Guard. This will complement P-8I and Dornier Coastal Patrol. India also plan to add UAV for their MPA assets, make it layers capabilities.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Video from MILAN exercise 2024, shown India two carriers Vikramaditya and Vikrant simultaneously launch 2 Mig 29K. Despite ultimate plan to have eventual CATOBAR carrier, seems talk in media still indicating the third carrier will be based on STOBAR Vikrant.

This is more on the side of costs and also what India indigenously already maturing with STOBAR Carriers operation, as shown in the video. 2 sq of Mig 29K and 2 sq of Naval Rafale so far that'll be the Naval Airwing for the Carriers. At least until the indigenous naval Fighters ready to take over.

Sandhi Yudha

Seems confirm the third carrier will be Vikrant sister ship. Again shown India doing conservatively with what they already Master.
The original plan was
1. Baku/Admiral Gorshkov/Vikramaditya
2. IAC-1/Vikrant (STOBAR)
3. IAC-2/Vishal (CATOBAR)

Then the plan was to build a second Vikrant (STOBAR) ship, so the Vishal became IAC-3.
And now they want to add a third (STOBAR) ship to the Vikrant class, and because of this wait longer with a CATOBAR-carrier, is this correctly?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
now they want to add a third (STOBAR) ship to the Vikrant class, and because of this wait longer with a CATOBAR-carrier, is this correctly?
To be fair, the 3rd carrier is CATOBAR or even CVN CATOBAR more to some pundits speculation and not Indian MinDef possition. However I agree that time schedule and off course development costs matter.

India track record on introducing new system ussualy not what can be said on schedule. Many even way overdue. We can see their track record introducing Tejas, This Vikrant (IAC) carrier, or Kaveri Turbofan engine. All deviate from schedule significantly. Thus introducing new CATOBAR design, will also be risking over stretching the schedule again.

However when they are already set on a design, ussualy they can fasten the production run considerably. We can see their 2nd or more vessels on the class, ussualy can be produce much faster then 1st one. Shown they're quite conservative in approaching new design. For that getting 2nd IAC, should be saver for their time schedule. Hopefully the 2nd IAC they also rectified the size of the side aircraft elevators.

I also due suspect the problem on getting Catapult for CATOBAR can also be problem. Base on what I read in their forums, and media pundits (thus rumours), Indian MinDef and Navy has reservations to using US EMALS right away. This as they are not ready yet for CVN, and seems US producer told them their EMALS prefer to work in CVN due to power consumption.

India as far as I know (base on open sources) not yet have advance indigenous program for their EMALS (unlike China). We also still guessing whether PLAN can work their EMALS satisfactory in their Fujian conventional CV. Something that I tend to see also being watch by Indian.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Better to wait and see how the Chinese EMALS performs with GT power generation. Mind you if performance turns out to be poor, the Chinese are not likely to be forthcoming as to whether it is due to power limitations or a faulty EMALS design.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Actually John, there's easier way to read China move:

1. If they don't continue one development, we know it is the trouble. If successful, then CCTV will cover it.
2. Surprisingly (or perhaps not too surprising), there will be leaks in Weibo or Chinese onlines.

If problem with EMALS, either they come out with new design, or they back to old steam Catapult tech. Weibo's and Chinese forums also talk on that steam ones development. If this is power generation, then they will rectified with either larger GT set up or goes Nuclear.

From what I see so far, whether it is politics, defense, social or economics, there're always hints and leaks. CCP grip on media actualy in my opinion not as bullet prove as many outside China thinks.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The issue with more GTs for power is fuel demands. This would be made worse if larger carriers are deemed necessary. I would bet the nuclear option is getting serious R&D funding, a benefit for future SSBN development as well.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The problem with CVN is that present Chinese Reactor are not big enough for Carrier. Yes in theory they can have 2-4 SSBN reactors for one CVN. However seems indication so far China want to build new design.

There's speculation that the new reactor will use Thorium Molten Salt tech. Not something new actually, as Thorcon also try to work with Indonesian MinDef on developing naval thorium reactor. Whether PLAN will go there, remain to be seen. However this just shown they are not thinking the present SSBN reactors will be enough for CVN.

Thus back to India, their naval reactor in Arihant class SSBN is smaller then what Chinese has put in their latest SSBN and SSN. If China still have problem or at least still try developing new reactor design for CVN, you can be sure for India it will be much more challenging.

Which's why using present IAC design for India actually not only rational as using design they already Master. However also shown they have no other choice to continue using existing STOBAR design, as choice for CATOBAR, I do believe put much more challenges on their present capabilities.

swerve

Super Moderator
If problem with EMALS, either they come out with new design, or they back to old steam Catapult tech. Weibo's and Chinese forums also talk on that steam ones development. If this is power generation, then they will rectified with either larger GT set up or goes Nuclear.
Nuclear can generate steam easily. GTs not. Probably need a separate steam generator.