Lincoln was expected to move to Newport News shipyard next week to begin the overhaul. However, as a result of the fiscal constraints resulting from the ongoing continuing resolution (CR), the contract for the refueling complex overhaul (RCOH) has not been issued to Huntington Ingalls Industries, Inc.
Lincoln will remain pierside at Naval Station Norfolk until sufficient funding is received to start the execution of the RCOH. In the meantime, the ship’s Sailors continue to conduct maintenance.
In their 50 year life spans, one RCOH is scheduled for the midpoint of an aircraft carrier’s service life. Lincoln was commissioned 23 years ago Nov. 11, 1989.
The impact of postponing CVN 72′s RCOH is three-fold:
- the time scheduled for the RCOH will have to be lengthened because the overhaul won’t begin when it was expected,
- delayed redelivery of Lincoln to the fleet,
- and impacts to industry (takes away money/jobs and can delay subsequent scheduled availabilities).
Cancelling or delaying maintenance creates a significant backlog of deferred maintenance and affects future year schedules and costs, as well as future readiness. The delay in Lincoln’s RCOH will affect other carrier work. Because of the short time available between sequential dockings, the delay will also result in day-for-day impacts to the defueling of the recently inactivated Enterprise (CVN 65) and the start of USS George Washington’s (CVN 73) RCOH.
A yearlong CR impacts funds for fuel, parts, ship and aircraft repairs, base operations, maintenance for buildings, roads and runways, and salaries for our government employees and contractors.
The fiscal uncertainties created by not having an appropriations bill and the measures the Navy is forced to take as a result, place significant stress on an already strained force and undermine the stability of a fragile industrial base.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- NZDF General discussion thread
- "Across the Beach"- AAVs for the Australian Army ?
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- US Navy News and updates
- ADF General discussion thread
- Future of the Global Hawk
- Marine Nationale Discussions and Updates
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- DT Hall of Shame - Ban List
- Tactical Nuclear weapons - still relevant?
- New Zealand Army Organisation