The Kavkaz-2012 strategic command post exercises will begin in southern Russia on Monday, the Defense Ministry reported.
The drills will be held on September 17-23 and led by the chief of Russia’s General Staff, Army General Nikolai Makarov.
“Overall, up to 8,000 people, over 200 military vehicles, some 100 artillery guns of various purpose and about 10 combat vessels will be used in the war game,” a ministry spokesman told journalists.
The spokesman said the Federal Guard Service (FSO), Interior and Emergencies ministries and the Federal Security Service (FSB) will send their units to the exercises.
In early August, deputy chief of the Russian General Staff, Colonel General Alexander Postnikov, said the drills will involve the live firing of Iskander ballistic missile systems.
Putin will attend the first stage of the Kavkaz-2012 war game at the Rayevsky firing range in the southern Krasnodar Territory on Monday, the Kremlin said.
“The strategic command post exercise will become the key and most large-scale event of armed forces training this year,” the Kremlin said.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Ukranian Crisis
- Singapore Navy
- F-35 - International Participation
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- China invasion of Johnson Reef of Vietnam on March 14th 1988
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions
- Т-35A Up and Running
- Singapore Army Pictures
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion