The Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress November 15 of a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Oman for 400 Javelin Guided Missiles and associated equipment, parts, training and logistical support for an estimated cost of $96 million.
The Sultanate of Oman has requested a possible sale of 400 Javelin Guided Missiles, Javelin Weapon Effects Simulator (JAVWES), containers, spare and repair parts, support equipment, personnel training and training equipment, publications and technical documentation, U.S. Government and contractor representative logistics and technical support services, and other related elements of logistics and program support. The total estimated cost is $96 million.
This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to improve the security of a friendly country that has been, and continues to be, an important force for political and economic progress in the Middle East.
The proposed sale of the JAVELIN Anti-Tank Weapon System will improve Oman’s capability to meet current and future threats and provide greater security for its critical oil and natural gas infrastructure. Oman will use the enhanced capability to strengthen its homeland defense. Oman will have no difficulty absorbing these missiles into its armed forces.
The proposed sale of this equipment and support will not alter the basic military balance in the region.
The principal contractors will be Raytheon/Lockheed Martin Javelin Joint Venture in Orlando, Florida and Tucson, Arizona. There are no known offset agreements proposed in connection with this potential sale.
Implementation of this proposed sale will not require the assignment of any additional U.S. Government or contractor representatives to Oman.
There will be no adverse impact on U.S. defense readiness as a result of this proposed sale.
This notice of a potential sale is required by law and does not mean the sale has been concluded.
Related Topic Tags
- anti-Tank missile, Anti-Tank Weapons, arms sale, exports, Javelin, javeline missiles, military sale, oman
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Assad's strategic options
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- F-35 - International Participation
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- F-18 Advanced Hornet
- The Indonesian Army
- NZDF General discussion thread
- A discussion about inflatable decoy and monocoque decoy