The Protector unmanned surface vehicle (USV) is an Israeli-developed unmanned vessel using cutting edge technology. Nine metesr long, weighting about 4,000 Kg (8,800 lbs) and reaching a speed of up to 92 Kph (57 mph), the Protector USV is based on former models of unmanned, autonomous, remotely controlled unmanned surface vehicles.
Highly maneuverable and stealthy, the Protector can conduct a wide spectrum of critical missions, without exposing personnel and capital assets to unnecessary risk. Though autonomous, the device can easily be controlled from a shore several miles from the Protector.
Deployed by the Israeli Navy since 2009, the weapon system carried by the Protector USV is based on Rafael‘s Typhoon remote-controlled, stabilized weapon station, capable of operating various small caliber guns. The highly accurate, stabilized weapon station has excellent hit-and-kill probability.
The high-tech equipment installed on the unmanned vessel, such as highly accurate, stabilized weapons station, search radar and a targeting system with day and night capabilities enables the Protector USV a wide variety of operational functions.
The missions that are entrusted upon this innovative device are varied and complex; it can gather intelligence, take part in naval warfare and act as an anti-terror protection force.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Naval Version of MLRS
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Singapore Army Pictures
- The Indonesian Army
- Assad's strategic options
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- ASEAN (and ADMM Plus) Military Exercises
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Will modern warfare eliminate the use of artillery?
- F-18E/F good in air to air?
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion