Iranian Navy launched a 6-day massive drill in its southern waters on Friday, local satellite Press TV reported. The naval drills, dubbed Velayat 91, or Guardianship 91, are being carried out in the Strait of Hormuz, the Sea of Oman, north of the Indian Ocean, the Gulf of Aden and Bab-el-Mandeb Strait, Iran’s Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said Friday.
He said Velayat 91 drill is aimed to display Iran’s capabilities to defend its water borders and interests, establish durable security in the region, and convey a message of peace and friendship to neighboring countries.
The maneuver also sends a message to enemies that Iran will seriously defends its vital interests in all areas, in particular in international waters, Sayyari added.
He said the maneuver seeks to boost the navy’s tactical and operational capabilities, adding that the navy’s 23rd fleet, comprised of Busheher warship and Jamaran destroyer, will escort Iran’s merchant vessels and oil tankers as part of the navy’s mission to fight piracy.
On Tuesday, Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) launched a 4-day naval exercise, code-named Fajr-91 (Dawn- 91), in the area of South Pars gas field in the Persian Gulf, aiming at evaluating the defense capabilities of the troops stationed in the region against potential threats.
Over the past few years, Iran has held several military drills to enhance the defensive capabilities of its armed forces and to test modern military tactics and equipment.
On Dec. 24, 2011, Iran held the 10-day Velayat 90 naval drill in its southern waters, including the Persian Gulf, the Strait of Hormuz and the Sea of Oman, aiming at demonstrating the combat readiness and ability of the country’s naval forces to defend its territorial waters.
Iran has test-fired long and short-range missiles during the military drill in the Strait of Hormuz. Iran’s submarines also hit pre-determined targets during the exercises, using domestically- manufactured torpedoes.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- NZDF General discussion thread
- "Across the Beach"- AAVs for the Australian Army ?
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- ADF General discussion thread
- Future of the Global Hawk
- Marine Nationale Discussions and Updates
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- DT Hall of Shame - Ban List
- Tactical Nuclear weapons - still relevant?
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- New Zealand Army Organisation