Brigadier General Farzad Esmaili said on September 3 that he expects the Bavar-373 system to be completed by the end of next year.
He described the system as “more advanced” than Soviet-era S-300 surface-to-air missiles, saying they are better at “detecting, identifying and destroying targets.”
The S-300 system was developed to defend against aircraft, cruise missiles, and ballistic missiles.
But Russia refuses to sell S-300s to Tehran, saying sales would violate UN sanctions. Iran is under mounting pressure from Israel and Western powers over its nuclear program.
Esmaili says the greatest threat against Iran is air strikes.
He said there would be tests of the new system by early November.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:helicopter iran, latest news 2014 on iran air defense missiles Copyright (c) 2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Ukranian Crisis
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- The Indonesian Army
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Made in Singapore Equipment
- Fire-control protocol - the Buk-M1 air defense complex
- Help identifying an NASA plane from 1966
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards