Brigadier General Farzad Esmaili said on September 3 that he expects the Bavar-373 system to be completed by the end of next year.
He described the system as “more advanced” than Soviet-era S-300 surface-to-air missiles, saying they are better at “detecting, identifying and destroying targets.”
The S-300 system was developed to defend against aircraft, cruise missiles, and ballistic missiles.
But Russia refuses to sell S-300s to Tehran, saying sales would violate UN sanctions. Iran is under mounting pressure from Israel and Western powers over its nuclear program.
Esmaili says the greatest threat against Iran is air strikes.
He said there would be tests of the new system by early November.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:helicopter iran, latest news 2014 on iran air defense missiles Copyright (c) 2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Ukranian Crisis
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Some newer stuff from me...so far
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- US Navy News and updates