Indian defense minister on Wednesday expressed “serious concern” over China’s growing military might and vowed that the government in New Delhi would further bolster its own forces.
China and India have long-standing border disputes in the Himalayas, but have publicly vowed to tackle their differences through peaceful negotiations rather than conflict.
“But we are not unduly worried because we also will have to modernize and strengthen our armed forces.”
India has beefed up its military presence along the China border with thousands of extra combat troops, armor and expanded airbases.
India says China is illegally occupying 38,000 square kilometers (15,000 square miles) of its northwestern territory, while Beijing claims a 90,000-square-kilometre chunk of the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh.
India and China have held several rounds of inconclusive talks to resolve the dispute, which led them to a brief but bitter war in 1962.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Singapore Navy
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Indonesian Aero News
- Unidentified beeping sound
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Reinstitute US Pershing 2 for use vs A2/AD?
- Assad's strategic options
- US Navy News and updates
- F-35 - International Participation
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates