Indian defense minister on Wednesday expressed “serious concern” over China’s growing military might and vowed that the government in New Delhi would further bolster its own forces.
China and India have long-standing border disputes in the Himalayas, but have publicly vowed to tackle their differences through peaceful negotiations rather than conflict.
“But we are not unduly worried because we also will have to modernize and strengthen our armed forces.”
India has beefed up its military presence along the China border with thousands of extra combat troops, armor and expanded airbases.
India says China is illegally occupying 38,000 square kilometers (15,000 square miles) of its northwestern territory, while Beijing claims a 90,000-square-kilometre chunk of the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh.
India and China have held several rounds of inconclusive talks to resolve the dispute, which led them to a brief but bitter war in 1962.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Indian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indian Army News and Discussion
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- PC GAMES (Defence/Military, Strategy)
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Compact Fusion Reactor
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs