Indian defense minister on Wednesday expressed “serious concern” over China’s growing military might and vowed that the government in New Delhi would further bolster its own forces.
China and India have long-standing border disputes in the Himalayas, but have publicly vowed to tackle their differences through peaceful negotiations rather than conflict.
“But we are not unduly worried because we also will have to modernize and strengthen our armed forces.”
India has beefed up its military presence along the China border with thousands of extra combat troops, armor and expanded airbases.
India says China is illegally occupying 38,000 square kilometers (15,000 square miles) of its northwestern territory, while Beijing claims a 90,000-square-kilometre chunk of the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh.
India and China have held several rounds of inconclusive talks to resolve the dispute, which led them to a brief but bitter war in 1962.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- Arms Race in Space
- F-35 - International Participation
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Possible Singaporean Aircraft Carrier
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- French Armée de l'Air News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Indonesian Aero News
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards