The US military had to detonate a hypersonic weapon seconds after lift-off Monday due to a technical problem, cutting short a flight test for the experimental project, officials said.
“Less than four seconds into the lift-off phase, we terminated the flight,” Pentagon spokeswoman Maureen Schumann told AFP.
The decision to abort the flight test in Alaska was due to a technological “anomaly,” she said, without providing more details.
The launch of the “Advanced Hypersonic Weapon” occurred after 4 am local time at the Kodiak Launch Complex in Alaska, Pentagon officials said.
“Due to an anomaly, the test was terminated near the launch pad shortly after lift-off to ensure public safety,” the Pentagon said in a statement.
There were no injuries in the incident, it said, adding that officials are conducting an “extensive investigation” to determine what went wrong.
A previous flight test for the weapon was carried out in November 2011.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:militray photo with money
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Indian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indian Army News and Discussion
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- PC GAMES (Defence/Military, Strategy)
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Compact Fusion Reactor
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs