Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (KMW), Europe´s market leader for highly protected wheeled and tracked vehicles, has received an order from the German Army for the assembly and delivery of 31 further MUNGO 2 Multi-purpose vehicles for the Special Operations Division (DSO).
The first three pre-series prototypes were delivered and qualified technically and tactically in an operational test. The delivery of another 31 vehicles will be completed until 2013.
Air-portable and multi-faceted deployment
As all other vehicles of the MUNGO family of air-portable vehicles, with its small size and low overall weight the MUNGO 2 Multi-purpose was specifically developed for transportation on a CH-53 transport helicopter. With its universal hydraulics and transport system this multi-purpose version is particularly suitable for the mission-specific transport of munitions, fuel, maintenance and NBC decontamination equipment.
A quick-change system for front mounting implements additionally enables the deployment of engineering systems. With a payload of up to 1.5 tons the MUNGO 2 Multi-purpose can additionally transport supply or armament in trailer operations.
Specifically improved for military missions
Tailored specifically to the requirements of highly-mobile air-portable forces and built on the system criteria of the MUNGO-family, the MUNGO 2 Multi-purpose additionally convinces through a chassis optimized in continuous improvement for special missions, for example in Afghanistan. In addition, the vehicle is perfectly protected against ballistic, mine and IED threats. Fully armoured and separated from the chassis, the floor provides along with a safety cell maximum protection for the two-headed crew.
Until now KMW has delivered more than 400 MUNGO in the three different versions – troop transporters, multi-purpose vehicles and large space cabins – to the German Army.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- F-35 - International Participation
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- Armored Vehicle Recognition Guide
- Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel
- UFO or secret fighter jet?
- Land 400
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Question from Military Fiction Author on bridge destruction