Greg Combet, Acting Minister for Defence, today announced that a contract had been signed with the United States RAND Corporation to complete a Domestic Design Study for the Future Submarine Project, SEA 1000.
“As outlined in the White Paper, the Government has decided to acquire 12 new Future Submarines, to be assembled in South Australia. This project will be the largest and most complex defence procurement undertaken in Australia’s history,” said Mr Combet.
“The Domestic Design Study will examine Australia’s submarine design capability and capacity. Investigations by the Project to date have aimed at developing an understanding of the capability of the international submarine industry.
“The RAND Corporation brings internationally recognized expertise to the Domestic Design Study having completed similar studies for both the United States and United Kingdom governments,” said Mr Combet.
“The results of the Domestic Design Study will inform project strategy options for consideration by Government during 2010 and is an example of the Government’s careful planning for Australia’s next generation of submarines,” Mr Combet said.
“The Defence Materiel Organisation is undertaking a number of studies to identify and explore all the options to ensure we have the appropriate design capability to support our submarines throughout their life. The information we collect through this process will help to develop strategic options for the Government’s consideration,” said Mr Combet.
The report is to be completed by February 2010.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- NZDF General discussion thread
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- F-35 - International Participation
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Flanker Export Thread
- North Korean Military.
- Underwater UFO at Sweden
- Iran Inaugurates Production Line of HAFEZ Radar System
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates