X-37 - The first military space plane?

furymonkey

I am sure some of you have heard about the X-37 Program, an ex NASA program that was transferred to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. The first flight of the X-37B is scheduled for 20th of April, 2010, which it isn't far from now. Much about the program and the spacecraft itself are classified, but being a military test platform, I think it's safe to assume it will have alot of new interesting technologies.

What do guys think this plane will have? Will they eventually equip it with anti satellite weapons, or space strike capabilities? Will it become tomorrow's space fighter? Or do you think I am just too overly excited about the idea of space wars?

Knowing those ideas will trigger arms race in space, I doubt we will see the light of day even they do exists. ;)

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't the US have a space plane program during the 60's?
I realise you're new, but so far all of your posts have been one-liners and simple questions that could be answered with five minutes' research on google. The forums tend to discourage posts of this nature as the content of your posts is considered more important than your post count. Try not to post so many one liners and try doing some research of your own. Not trying to be rude, just friendly advice. :)

Spetsznaz

Yes I believe the had the X-30 single stage orbit aircraft, during the Reagan administration.

Personally I believe that that country already have space weapons, especially Scramjets, because off the simplicity to build. :confused:

yeknom-ecaps

In the 1960s there were two space plane programs - the X-20 program which actually had pilots assigned to it but never flew. The X-15 program flew 199 flights and produced several astronauts for the height of their flights and X-15 pilot Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon.

Project Asset and Project Prime flew 'unmanned space planes' launched by rockets.

Lockheed Martin has tested scale model space plane technology at the Spaceport America site in New Mexico in the last two years..

TACTICIAN

I would think that the X-37 would be a great design if its intended purpose was to re-position the geostationary orbit of our military satellites. For example imagine Milstar being targeted by Chinese missile. They have already demonstrated that they can take one out, in the event of a conflict one would think that we would need the capability to change their orbit on short notice. This is a theory based on a concept which im not knowledgeable in however my question is this a feasible solution? Could the X37 be used for such a task, or do these satellites already have boosters that can change their orbital paths??

SteelTiger 177

I feel we should look at developing a spaceplane as a replacement for the Space Shuttle.Nothing against the Orion spacecraft i think its cool I saw of video of nit on youtube taking part in a lunar mission (the video was set to Peter Schilllings Major Tomm) but it must land in the ocean and the cost of recovery at sea would very likely be similar to the Apollo missions.I feel a new generation of reuseable space vehicles launched on top of the rocket would be better.

NobodyMinus

The X-37 is likely just a demonstrator for a future cargo hauler like the Space Shuttle was. Honestly, considering the recent explosion of the private space industry, it seems a little redundant.

SteelTiger 177

I feel that a continued national space program is still needed to regulate travel and trade in space.The commercial space industry may help NASA in some areas but for the continued exploration of the Solar System and beyond we will still need NASA in my view.

barney41

It should be noted that the X-37B is expected to land in the coming week after orbiting the planet for the past 22 months. It's still a big mystery what the X-37B is doing up there for the Air Force. I wonder if any of the amateur spacewatchers have attempted to observe it to get a feel for what it‘s up to? If it was engaged in some ISR work, would it be able to download data without being detected?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This would be fun to learn more about. I have feeling this time, they are just testing a plane that might be able to attack from Space. Or launch stronger weapons from space.
Have you got something to support your speculation? We aren't really keen on flights of fantasy. I realise that the nature of the program causes such speculation and I do agree that it is feasible for it to be a weapons platform.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not really. It's kind of common sense. Travel right above the athmosphere (Space) is much faster then any other way that we know.

However, check out:

nypost dot com/2010/04/25/a-weapon-that-can-strike-anywhere-on-earth-in-30-minutes

PS: All Fact's were once Fantasy ;);)
We deal more in reality and you do not need to state the obvious. One thing you need to do is read the rules. Regarding facts and their origins, this is best left to philosophers and historians.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not really. It's kind of common sense. Travel right above the athmosphere (Space) is much faster then any other way that we know.

However, check out:

nypost dot com/2010/04/25/a-weapon-that-can-strike-anywhere-on-earth-in-30-minutes

PS: All Fact's were once Fantasy ;);)
If you want to find more about such interesting things that have been discussed here, search this and the air force aviation forum.

For example search for posts from user Wookie.

There is no need for fantasy here, the reality is far, far more interesting, and much further advanced. If you can post an accurate, interesting post or question, you may get accurate and interesting responses.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
having worked with Wookie I'd reinforce that he's also well placed to know.

he can be cryptic - but necessarily so

I had a look at some of his posts, very interesting and informative. Most are quite dated, is he still active on DT?

Last edited by a moderator:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a look at some of his posts, very interesting and informative. Most are quite dated, is he still active on DT?
He tends to appear when the conversation gets interesting, averaging ~30 posts per year over the last 10+ years. Dated, its a relative term, the items being discussed are often 30+ year into the future for mainstream. Just be cause the posts may be 3 or 5 years old, doesn't make them any less accurate. I still go back an re-read his posts from years ago when I have an interesting line of thought about a particularly cryptic post.

There are other knowledgeable members.