Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Space & Defense Technology
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1621a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_1726a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0074a1.JPG

Miramar_14_FA-18C_0409a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

X-37 - The first military space plane?

This is a discussion on X-37 - The first military space plane? within the Space & Defense Technology forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; I am sure some of you have heard about the X-37 Program, an ex NASA program that was transferred to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old April 5th, 2010   #1
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
X-37 - The first military space plane?

I am sure some of you have heard about the X-37 Program, an ex NASA program that was transferred to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. The first flight of the X-37B is scheduled for 20th of April, 2010, which it isn't far from now. Much about the program and the spacecraft itself are classified, but being a military test platform, I think it's safe to assume it will have alot of new interesting technologies.

What do guys think this plane will have? Will they eventually equip it with anti satellite weapons, or space strike capabilities? Will it become tomorrow's space fighter? Or do you think I am just too overly excited about the idea of space wars?

Knowing those ideas will trigger arms race in space, I doubt we will see the light of day even they do exists.
furymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010   #2
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
hmmm

Didn't the US have a space plane program during the 60's?
Chopperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010   #3
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperjohn View Post
I realise you're new, but so far all of your posts have been one-liners and simple questions that could be answered with five minutes' research on google. The forums tend to discourage posts of this nature as the content of your posts is considered more important than your post count. Try not to post so many one liners and try doing some research of your own. Not trying to be rude, just friendly advice.
Bonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010   #4
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Yes I believe the had the X-30 single stage orbit aircraft, during the Reagan administration.

Personally I believe that that country already have space weapons, especially Scramjets, because off the simplicity to build.

-Me
Spetsznaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010   #5
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
In the 1960s there were two space plane programs - the X-20 program which actually had pilots assigned to it but never flew. The X-15 program flew 199 flights and produced several astronauts for the height of their flights and X-15 pilot Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon.

Project Asset and Project Prime flew 'unmanned space planes' launched by rockets.

Lockheed Martin has tested scale model space plane technology at the Spaceport America site in New Mexico in the last two years..
yeknom-ecaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010   #6
Private First Class
Threads:
The Space Shuttle was originally a military program
ltdanjuly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010   #7
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdanjuly10 View Post
The Space Shuttle was originally a military program
And several shuttle missions were devoted to DOD activities with DOD crews. Also included a category of "Manned Spaceflight Engineers" with DOD personnel.
yeknom-ecaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012   #8
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I would think that the X-37 would be a great design if its intended purpose was to re-position the geostationary orbit of our military satellites. For example imagine Milstar being targeted by Chinese missile. They have already demonstrated that they can take one out, in the event of a conflict one would think that we would need the capability to change their orbit on short notice. This is a theory based on a concept which im not knowledgeable in however my question is this a feasible solution? Could the X37 be used for such a task, or do these satellites already have boosters that can change their orbital paths??
TACTICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012   #9
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACTICIAN View Post
or do these satellites already have boosters that can change their orbital paths??
they have micro thrusters for course correction and can be steered into and out of orbit

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013   #10
Private First Class
Threads:
I feel we should look at developing a spaceplane as a replacement for the Space Shuttle.Nothing against the Orion spacecraft i think its cool I saw of video of nit on youtube taking part in a lunar mission (the video was set to Peter Schilllings Major Tomm) but it must land in the ocean and the cost of recovery at sea would very likely be similar to the Apollo missions.I feel a new generation of reuseable space vehicles launched on top of the rocket would be better.
SteelTiger 177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013   #11
Just Hatched
Private
Threads:
The X-37 is likely just a demonstrator for a future cargo hauler like the Space Shuttle was. Honestly, considering the recent explosion of the private space industry, it seems a little redundant.
NobodyMinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013   #12
Private First Class
Threads:
I feel that a continued national space program is still needed to regulate travel and trade in space.The commercial space industry may help NASA in some areas but for the continued exploration of the Solar System and beyond we will still need NASA in my view.
SteelTiger 177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013
khushivis
This message has been deleted by Preceptor. Reason: Spam-away applied
Old December 4th, 2013
Juice
This message has been deleted by OPSSG. Reason: No one-liners
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
It should be noted that the X-37B is expected to land in the coming week after orbiting the planet for the past 22 months. It's still a big mystery what the X-37B is doing up there for the Air Force. I wonder if any of the amateur spacewatchers have attempted to observe it to get a feel for what it‘s up to? If it was engaged in some ISR work, would it be able to download data without being detected?
barney41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: