US Developing Lightweight Electromagnic Armor

highsea

United Defense Integrates Electro-Magnetic Armor Technology on Combat Vehicle and Defeats Live Threats

Herb Muktarian
United Defense
[email protected]
(717) 225-8004

SANTA CLARA, CA, March 16, 2005 - United Defense Industries, Inc. (NYSE:UDI) achieved another industry first by successfully defeating incoming threats during live-fire testing of an Electro-Magnetic Armor (EMA) package fully integrated on a hybrid electric drive combat vehicle demonstrator.

This effort, using an EMA package fully integrated with the hybrid-electric drive system, was accomplished through a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement with the U.S. Army Research Laboratory and the Army's Tank Automotive Research Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC) in Warren, Mich.

According to TARDEC Director Dr. Richard McClelland, "Being able to leverage industry research expertise, such as this EMA program with United Defense, allows the Army to integrate life-saving advanced technology at a much more rapid pace than through traditional methods."

"The successful completion of live-fire testing of an EMA package on a hybrid-electric vehicle demonstrator illustrates the type of multi-hit capability that can be integrated into vehicle systems at significantly lower weight to provide a level of protection similar to reactive packages," said Tom Hutson, project manager for United Defense.

The EMA package successfully defeated a shaped charge threat during live fire testing Feb. 22 at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland.

EMA technology can significantly enhance the survivability of vehicle systems as part of a layered approach ultimately aimed at increasing soldier protection. EMA uses high voltages and currents to defeat shaped charge warheads such as those from Rocket Propelled Grenades (RPGs). Research in reliable power management and delivery at lower volumes and weights for Pulse Forming Networks (PFNs) allows the system level integration, experimentation and demonstration of EMA on a combat vehicle.

http://www.uniteddefense.com/pr/pr_20050316.htm
This is an interesting technology. The idea is that when a shaped charge projectile hits the armor, fiberoptic sensors trigger an electric pulse in the armor. A stong magnetic field is generated around the stream of molten metal. The magnetic field expands and pulls the stream apart. The effect is to scatter the stream, preventing it from penetrating the vehicle.

highsea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure gf. There are two approaches that the US is working on. One is the electromagnetic field type, and the other one is a kind of "shape-memory" alloy, that is thin and lightweight until a charge is applied, at which point it increases in thickness to resist penetration. The idea is to have a layered approach, so ultimately both types may be integrated into a standard package (one type designed for protection from kinetic energy weapons, and the other better for shaped charge-type weapons).

It's clear that the US is focusing hard on energy management issues for all the next generation systems, be it land, sea, or air. As you know, all the new platforms are designed with flexible energy management as a basic element of the design, so power can be shifted back and forth from weapons to propulsion, etc as needed. I wish I had more info on these new armor systems, but they are just now starting to even talk about them, so it will be a while before the really interesting stuff is public. ;)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
highsea said:
It's clear that the US is focusing hard on energy management issues for all the next generation systems, be it land, sea, or air. As you know, all the new platforms are designed with flexible energy management as a basic element of the design, so power can be shifted back and forth from weapons to propulsion, etc as needed. I wish I had more info on these new armor systems, but they are just now starting to even talk about them, so it will be a while before the really interesting stuff is public. ;)
I'm off to germany at the end of this week for a fuel cell and nanotechnology series of conferences, it will be interesting to see who is there. The last time I met a bloke from ONI who was obviously into high energy storage and massive discharge concepts. The Germans had some interesting gear up for discussion, so I can hardly wait to see what new toys they have up this time.

The fact that you guys are looking at more platforms to load up electronic weapons on unmanned platforms is really driving some interesting developments.

Last edited:

highsea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The nanotechnology stuff is really promising in terms of stealth and body armor. I have a couple articles I want to post on that subject. One very interesting approach is a nano-suit that is being worked on at (I think) MIT. The idea being that the suit can selectively harden to threats such as small arms fire, or form portions of itself into a temporary cast on an injured soldier, etc.

There are also some interesting coatings (which I am sure you are familiar with), for subs and surface ships that involve surface manipulation at the molecular level to eliminate biological fouling, reduce cavitation and friction, etc.

I will try to dig up some articles on that also. There's definitely some very interesting stuff being worked on.

blackzero

Hello Geri mate,

I am a nanotech. graduate.I saw an article on Gas powered power generation systems for soldiers so they would be integrated into the suit .They challenges were in the area of combustion as far as I remember but EADS is seriously working on it.

Pendekar

i wonder how the molecule will be manipulate. Chemicals, magnetics and such i suppose. or maybe, each molecule is actually an autonomous units.

ashblackhawk

Banned Member
Dear All,
I am a absolute freshman !! with 0 knowledge in field of defense !! but i am a very interested in finding current developments. Kudos to american scientists for developing high tech weaponary.
Cheers for world peace.
Ashblackhawk

adsH

highsea said:
I'm not sure gf. There are two approaches that the US is working on. One is the electromagnetic field type, and the other one is a kind of "shape-memory" alloy, that is thin and lightweight until a charge is applied, at which point it increases in thickness to resist penetration.
At cambridge theyve developed a Way to Remove Titanium by applying a Occilating Feild and passing a charge throguh the ore and removing Titanium from it, the MEthod has been patented by the US and the Brit Gov. the Electromegnetic thingi Highsea mentioned could be linked to this.
Advanced Materials & Processes

June 01, 2003

A program aimed at commercializing the Fray-Farthing-Chen (FFC) Cambridge Process for extracting titanium from ore is to be led by Titanium Metals Corp. (Timet), Denver, Cob., and funded by the U. S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). The FFC Cambridge Process, developed by Dr. Derek Fray and others at the University of Cambridge, represents a potential breakthrough technology.
The FFC Cambridge Process is a new process for extraction of metals and alloys from their solid oxides by molten salt electrolysis. The process eliminates many of the steps in the Kroll process, and results in significantly lower cost. Titanium produced by the process may be in the form of metal powder or sponge. In both cases, the microstructure is composed of nodular particles whose sizes range between 10 and 100 micrometers.
As part of the program, Timet will be leading a team of scientists from major defense contractors.
For more information: J. Land

http://static.highbeam.com/a/advanc...mtocommercializetitaniumextractionprocessfor/
I know i'm talking about extraction from Molten salt rock by electrolysis but you can use the heat generated from Charge the impact to Some how force the reaction to occur.

ILIAD

A chap called Eric Wetzel (US ARL) is working on rheopectic suspensions for flexible armour - I think it is Delaware U where the lab work is/was being done. Interesting stuff and now very well reported across the WWW.

highsea said:
The nanotechnology stuff is really promising in terms of stealth and body armor. I have a couple articles I want to post on that subject. One very interesting approach is a nano-suit that is being worked on at (I think) MIT. The idea being that the suit can selectively harden to threats such as small arms fire, or form portions of itself into a temporary cast on an injured soldier, etc.

There are also some interesting coatings (which I am sure you are familiar with), for subs and surface ships that involve surface manipulation at the molecular level to eliminate biological fouling, reduce cavitation and friction, etc.

I will try to dig up some articles on that also. There's definitely some very interesting stuff being worked on.