Stealth detection system

adil

is it true that there is a stealth detection system developed by the UK? i found this article, which is old but i havent seen it before.

A British research and development company, which claims to have invented a
method to detect stealth aircraft, has clammed up on details about its
technology.

Roke Manor Research has decided not to speak to the press after UK national
the Daily Telegraph ran an article on the detection system. Roke claims the
Telegraph misquoted the company's head of projects. [The truth or arse
covering? - you decide, Ed]

The system uses a traditional mobile phone network to detect stealth
aircraft as they pass silently through the ether. Although the aircraft have
advanced coatings which absorb conventional radar signals, they apparently
still reflect back enough radiation emitted from mobile phone masts to be
detected by special ground receivers.

The receivers are linked to a central computer which - in sync with a GPS
satellite - is able to position the aircraft to within 10 metres.

The central computer could conceivably be a simple notebook operated by
ground troops. Once exposed, the stealth aircraft would be easy prey for
convential ground-to-air missiles.

Disabling the system would require the complete destuction of a target
country's mobile phone mast network - in reality, an impossible task.

Considering the potential of this system to completely undermine the US's
stealth aircraft programme, it might be reasonable to assume that the
military there is taking a close interest. Not so, according to Roke Manor
Research, despite claims by the Daily Telegraph.

According to the Telegraph Peter Lloyd, head of projects at the laboratory's
sensor department, said: "I cannot comment in detail because it is a
classified matter, but let's say the US military is very interested."

Lloyd today denied ever having said that the project was classified, or that
the US military has expressed an interest. He added that the article was a
"gross distortion of the truth", and that he was under instructions not to
talk to the press. Details on the project have been removed from Roke Manor
Research's website.

Despite the company's assertions, it is indeed unlikely that the US military
has not taken a degree of 'interest' in this project. After all, the US is
the only country currently actively deploying stealth aircraft - the F-117
and B-2. It also has the F-22 'Raptor' in development.

The Telegraph article claims that, according to 'military sources', the
Serbs may have used a crude version of the same technology to shoot down an
F-117 during the Kosovo crisis.

If this is true, then the US will be keeping a very close eye on an
ingenious idea which could, at a stroke, render its multi-billion dollar
stealth programme obsolete.[
source-http://seclists.org/lists/isn/2001/Jun/0111.html

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Unless it comes from source, the majority of defense related information coming from public domain areas should be considered "suspect"

The Daily Telegraph? Not exactly the most reliable news entity anyway and with a lousy strike rate on accuracy for anything to do with the military

The Serb success against the F117 has been flogged to death. I think I've posted a response on this in the forums somewhere else. I'm not going to repeat it as it's a lengthy typing exercise.

Stealth is stealth, it doesn't apply a level of invisibility to an object.

There are a number of systems that have a capacity to identify stealth aircraft under certain conditions.

As for the posted system, it's distinctly possible. A system made is a system that can eventually be broken.

A new detection process won't render stealth aircraft obsolete. It will probably mean a change in the way that they deal with stealth modification parameters - it won't neutralise the platform.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
I guess the stealth aircraft still vulnerable to the new generation IR missile, provided the aircraft being spotted first. Besides, there are many other way to detect an aircraft other then radar. The IRST for example can probably detect the stealth aircraft at 50km or so. a body that moves through the air will generate drag and drag produce heat. there is a measure to reduce this heat but i think it's only partially effective.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Awang se said:
I guess the stealth aircraft still vulnerable to the new generation IR missile, provided the aircraft being spotted first. Besides, there are many other way to detect an aircraft other then radar. The IRST for example can probably detect the stealth aircraft at 50km or so. a body that moves through the air will generate drag and drag produce heat. there is a measure to reduce this heat but i think it's only partially effective.
It's the unpublished data after earlier systems are disclosed that should make people exercise curiosity.

eg the SR-71's AGP-18 EW suite in 1965 had an IR range of 300km. If you consider the fact that this plane has only just been retired, and that there is no declared replacement, you would have to question the capability of US systems that are operational.

The SR-71's data is still classified, and this is a plane that is almost 50 years old.

Stealth can be detected, hence one of the probable reasons why the US has said that it will invest money into Australias JORN-OTH system. (It can detect Stealth platforms). 2 of Australias systems can detect stealth. AFAIK the Russian OTH has significant geographical impediments and infleunces, so you just can't assume that any OTH system will work.

The point I am trying to make is that if there was a communication embargo about a technology, then the developer would not even be talking about it. At least thats the way it works here. The secrecy provisions mean that he couldn't even talk about it in his sleep, ;)

Hence, when people start quoting companies reps about the capability, I have a high degree of doubt that they got any part of the journalistic response right.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Probably a sale boost, nothing more.

I notice that USAF don't have IRST installed on their aircrafts. I do see it on navy F-14. why is that. Almost every european aircraft incorporate this system one way or another.