Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Space & Defense Technology

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

SDI: Would it have been a great defense?

This is a discussion on SDI: Would it have been a great defense? within the Space & Defense Technology forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; So I have been doing a project on the SDI for some time, and I was just wondering if this ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old March 29th, 2017   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
SDI: Would it have been a great defense?

So I have been doing a project on the SDI for some time, and I was just wondering if this system was possible. Now in the 1980's, it would have been a wild card since some of it would have violated the "Nukes in Space" treaty, and it would have been so much money. But would it be the best defense of today if it were made? Just want to hear people's thoughts.
Skyhi2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017   #2
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhi2k2 View Post
So I have been doing a project on the SDI for some time, and I was just wondering if this system was possible. Now in the 1980's, it would have been a wild card since some of it would have violated the "Nukes in Space" treaty, and it would have been so much money. But would it be the best defense of today if it were made? Just want to hear people's thoughts.
Gidday cobber, welcome to the forum. Hard to say because if it had of gone ahead, others would have researched and implemented ways to mitigate it as much as they could. As you say cost would have been a major factor and at some stage the decisions would start having to be made around what other capabilities you would be willing to forgo in order to have this system.
Old April 3rd, 2017   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Ashton Carter gained prominence within the defense establishment with his analysis of Reagans SDI program back in the day. He helped save taxpayers a ton of money and what would likely have been years of misdirected effort.

https://111finalprojectnickh.voices....ts/document-2/

Ashton Carter, one of the most brilliant minds of the past century in the field of nuclear weapons, carried out a scientific assessment of Reagan’s Strategic Defense Initiative at the behest of the United States Congress. His findings, while not explicitly stating that the program cannot succeed, reveal a great many technical obstacles to its success. Furthermore, Carter states that the possibility of a complete comprehensive shield is “remote”.
colay1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: