Quantum Enigma Machine

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have seen stories on Quantum computers, Quantum radar, Quantum communication, and now the UK has announced a Quantum compass. Shouldn’t be too long before we see Quantum tanks, subs, and fighter jets.:D What I am really looking forward to is a Quantum fusion reactor which will solve all the worlds problems.:D:D

UK Scientists Build World’s First Quantum Compass: Tamper-proof device that does not rely on GPS is result of extensive defence funding (excerpt)
A normal compass doesn't require satellites etc., to work, however it is magnetic and as such it is subject to variations in the magnetic field. These changes are can be mitigated by the use of gyroscopic compasses in ships etc., but if a gyroscope is toppled it has to reset. What is needed is a quantum version of GPS where you are able to fix you position accurately in 3D space without having to visually reference known marks such as stars, headlands, etc. Maybe a quantum version of the INS (Inertial navigation System) for a start.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This short article describes efforts to organize the necessary components for a quantum internet. Can’t see law enforcement being too enthusiastic about this of a secure technology being in the public domain.
Yep especially in the US. Trouble for them is that once such technologies become common use, they can't do much about it. However it's a bit like the old naval race of armour and guns. One side uses more and better armour for pr,so their opposition design and put into service bigger and more powerful guns and projectiles. At some stage someone will figure out how to break the quantum encryption undetectably and also how to undetectably track users on a quantum internet. It'll take time but it will eventually happen.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Here’s a report on the possibilities for quantum technology. Interesting to note that quantum radar, a favourite device for the anti-stealth crowd, seems to be a doubtful capability in DoD’s eyes whereas quantum sensing could be very viable.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article speculates on a recent Chinese research paper claiming the ability for classic mathematical algorithm in conjunction with a relatively small quantum computer to greatly expand code breaking. There seem to be many skeptics but clearly at some point this capability is going to exist. Probably the most immediate dire consequences will be on the financial industry.

Alberto32

Here's a ambitious plan from Australia. I'd like to think that NZ could possibly commit some money and research into this project. No doubt though, I'll be deemed I'll informed.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Harvard University researchers are reporting a major new development for quantum error correction using lasers.

Note to Mods, perhaps we need a thread combining all things computer related along with AI.