Pakistans misssile defence systems

meh

Ha guys I was just woundering if anyone knows anything about Pakistans missile defence system and when Pakistan is going to induct new missiles and what type?

I would also like to know if Pakistan has taken steps to produce a demestic air defence missile system?

nero

Hq-9

Ha guys I was just woundering if anyone knows anything about Pakistans missile defence system and when Pakistan is going to induct new missiles and what type?

I would also like to know if Pakistan has taken steps to produce a demestic air defence missile system?

pakistan has a very robust missile defece system.

they have the deadly HQ-9 ( Ft-2000 )

also there is news that pakistan is acquiring the HQ-17 along with the VERA-E systems.

very soon pakistan is going to get the RAM missile for it's naval ships.

meh

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is great news. I heard that Pakistan was in the process of making it's own missile defence system is that true?

layer3

Can you tell me if HQ-9 is actually based on US patriot system or Russian S-300 system?

When Pakistan actually purchased the system from China... any idea.

nero

Hq-9

Can you tell me if HQ-9 is actually based on US patriot system or Russian S-300 system?

When Pakistan actually purchased the system from China... any idea.

The Hongqi-9 (HQ-9) is a long-range, high-altitude, surface-to-air missile system developed and manufactured by China, designed to track and destroy aircraft, cruise missiles, air-to-surface missiles, and tactical ballistic missiles. It incorporates technology from the Russian S-300P (NATO: SA-10 Grumble), the U.S. Patriot missile, and preexisting Chinese systems. (1) At present, China is outfitting its Type 052C destroyers with a naval variant of the HQ-9.(2)

. It is important to note, however, that the HQ-9 has been in development since the mid-1990s. In 1993, China purchased a large batch of S-300P missiles from Russia, and allegedly obtained a copy of the U.S. Patriot missile from Israel (although Israel denies that such a transfer took place).(10) The Chinese immediately began incorporating the S-300P and Patriot technology into their own air and missile defense system, the HQ-9. In 1997, the U.S. Office of Naval Intelligence suggested that “technology from advanced Western systems may be incorporated into the HQ-9.”(11) That same year, an official at a Russian missile design bureau acknowledged that the HQ-9 would incorporate the Patriot guidance and propulsion systems, thus confirming U.S. suspicions.(12)

According to missile defense expert David A. Fulghum, “[the HQ-9] uses a seeker-aided ground guidance system. The seeker on the missile sends target data back to the ground, which then correlates the target data for an intercept.”(13) It is assumed that the HQ-9’s seeker is similar to the Patriot’s “Track-via-Missile” guidance system.(14) Such a system, if actually used by the Chinese, would allow the HQ-9 interceptor missile to fly straight toward its target and explode at the point of nearest approach, thus completely destroying the incoming ballistic missile (or aircraft) or knocking it far enough off course so that it misses its intended target. During the Persian Gulf War, the U.S. Patriot Advanced Capability-2 system, which employs “Track-via-Missile,” destroyed its targets between 40 and 70 percent of the time.

In addition to its land-based deployments, the HQ-9 has been recently modified to complement China’s burgeoning naval forces. Over the past few months, the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) hasoutfitted two Type 052C destroyers with naval variants of the HQ-9, estimated to have a range of 65 nautical miles. Each Type 052C destroyer (similar to the U.S. Aegis destroyer) has six vertical launchers carrying approximately 36 missiles, as well as a phased-array radar system.(15) Initial reports indicate that the naval HQ-9 has a range of 65 nautical miles. The Type 052C destroyers will most likely be based at either Guangzhou or Zhanjiang.(16)

In October 2003, it was announced that China had sold its FT-2000 anti-radiation system, which uses HQ-9 missiles, to Pakistan as part of the latter’s military buildup against India. Many U.S. defense analysts predict that, over the next few years, the HQ-9 and its variants will be aggressively exported throughout Asia, Europe, and the Middle East.

. PAKISTAN GOT THE HQ-9 in 2004-2005

seaprince

That is great news. I heard that Pakistan was in the process of making it's own missile defence system is that true?
Yes Pakistan is working on it's Anza which was started as Shoulder Sam and now this year Pakistan Inducted Anza-3 of 13-15 Km range with improved Infrared vision And better couter measures.

Last edited:

layer3

pakistan has a very robust missile defece system.

they have the deadly HQ-9 ( Ft-2000 )

also there is news that pakistan is acquiring the HQ-17 along with the VERA-E systems.

very soon pakistan is going to get the RAM missile for it's naval ships.

I have read an article some where which states that VERA-E system has actually been leased to Pakistan (Not Sold). Can any one tell me what is the lease period plus how this system is integrated with existing defence systems such as HQ-9.
As far as I know VERA-A is just a 3D target tracking system based on sensors with Microwave link.

tphuang

Super Moderator
Okay Nero, stop now. Pakistan does not have HQ-9 or the export version FT-2000. All it has are some HQ-2, Crotale and such. It is looking to improve its air defence, but we will see what that entails.

BilalK

Pakistan to get high-tech air defence system

Pakistan to get high-tech air defence system

By Hanif Khalid

ISLAMABAD: As per President Musharraf's directives Pakistan will acquire a high-tech air defence system next year, but it must come with transfer of technology, an official told The News.

"China and a European country have offered Pakistan High-to-Medium-Altitude Air Defence System, Low-to-Medium-Altitude Air Defence System, Medium-Altitude Air Defence System and Short-Range Air Defence System," said an official, who wanted not to be named. "The two countries have also offered to set up a project in Pakistan for manufacturing short- medium- and high-range air defence systems," he added.

The official said a former PAF chief had sent a summary to President Musharraf for the purchase of a high-altitude air defence system from a European country without transfer of technology, but the president rejected it.

"The summary has been rejected because Pakistan's adversary has MiG-25, MiG-29, SU-27 and SU-30 fighter planes which are capable of flying at an altitude of more than 25km," he added.

India has these aircraft since 2002 whereas the PAF has no effective weapon system to save major cities of the country and defence installations from any attack by such planes, the official said.

"Had the organisations engaged in developing nuclear-capable missiles indigenously been tasked with the development of a system to overcome this shortcoming, the country would have until now achieved the capability of hitting planes at an altitude of 25-29 kilometres," he remarked. "But no attention has been paid towards this aspect of the country's air defence capability."

The official said that Pakistan has radars that can detect aircraft flying at an altitude of 25-29 kilometres but the country still lacks a weapon system to hit such planes. He said the country needs to install at least one battery of an ultra-modern air defence system on four sides of major cities or military installations for security.

According to the official, one battery of such a defence system would comprise 16 vehicles, including two radar carriers, six missile launching vehicles and six support vehicles and thus each battery would cost $40-50 million.

A short-range air defence system can shoot down an enemy plane up to five kilometres and medium-range system is capable of hitting and attacking aircraft up to 25 kilometres while a high-range air defence system can hit an enemy plane at a distance of 90 kilometres, elaborated the official.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=5036
=======================
=======================

No doubt Pakistan is seeking to improve its air defence capabilities, but not much has been disclosed beyond this. Although at IDEAS 2006 in Karachi the following systems were displayed:

MBDA Spada 2000 & MICA VL
Diehl BGT IRIS-T SL
Raytheon SL-AMRAAM
LM/Raytheon Patriot PAC-3
Denel Umkhonto IR/R

Besides the above, I imagine - although unsure - the FT-2000 was displayed by China...not sure if MBDA displayed their Aster 30 SAMP/T series either. In any case Pakistan has its options, but there are no reports on what systems it has chosen...best thing to do is wait it IMO.

Personally I think the IRIS-T SL has a good chance of being chosen for the short to medium-range series. The PAF has an active requirement for a new 5th generation WVRAAM for the JF-17, and the IRIS-T should be compatible with the F-16. In terms of costs, it would be wise to settle the JF-17 & F-16 as well as short to medium-range SAM requirements with a single-based system...IRIS-T & IRIS-T SL.

nero

what happened to the domestic programme of pakistan to build hi-tech SAMs ??

ithought that the anza-III would be the first choice for short-range SAM activities.

i guess , all we can do is to wait for the official announcement.

mysterious

It would nonsensical for Pakistan to buy just ONE battery as the official in the report seems to be leaning towards. Effective coverage of the entire country would require atleast 10 batteries to be deployed since Pakistan's current inventory of Crotales, HQ-2, etc are so obselete that I dont think they can hit anything other than Mig-21s and maybe Jaguars in the IAF's current stock.

Izzy1

Banned Member
Let's be frank. Pakistan's ground-based air defence leaves a lot to be desired.

Crotale and HQ-2B are 1970s-centric systems.

Infantry MANPAD coverage however is blessed with large numbers of Stinger, Anza and RBS-70 (plus Giraffe Radar). SLAMRAAM will be a massive boost.

But considering the need and demand, there is a long way to go.

BilalK

It would nonsensical for Pakistan to buy just ONE battery as the official in the report seems to be leaning towards. Effective coverage of the entire country would require atleast 10 batteries to be deployed since Pakistan's current inventory of Crotales, HQ-2, etc are so obselete that I dont think they can hit anything other than Mig-21s and maybe Jaguars in the IAF's current stock.
The report just outlines the cost of one battery, it didn't say how many Pakistan will need or will buy...however from the article;

The official said that Pakistan has radars that can detect aircraft flying at an altitude of 25-29 kilometres but the country still lacks a weapon system to hit such planes. He said the country needs to install at least one battery of an ultra-modern air defence system on four sides of major cities or military installations for security.

I think the report is saying that at least one battery will be needed per city and major security installation...but the "ultra-modern" thing is throwing me off. However given the gap between the Crotale and something like IRIS-T SL or SL-AMRAAM in areas like range, data-link, etc...these newer systems would require considerable change in Pakistan's present system.

From previous official reports, the air defence system will be organized along Lo-Medium Air Defence (LoMAD) and Hi-Medium Air Defence (HiMAD). I imagine the SHORAD and Medium Range will be allocated to LoMAD, while a long-range ABM type system to HiMAD.