Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Space & Defense Technology
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

mars mission

This is a discussion on mars mission within the Space & Defense Technology forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; what would be the minimum velocity increment required for a two impulse transfer from earth to mars about the sun??...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old March 20th, 2012   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
mars mission

what would be the minimum velocity increment required for a two impulse transfer from earth to mars about the sun??
crazydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates Padman Navy & Maritime 3346 1 Day Ago 10:46 PM
New Propulsion Concept Could Make 90-Day Mars Round Trip Possible XEROX Space & Defense Technology 12 October 16th, 2004 11:38 AM
NASA Selects Contractor For First Prometheus Mission To Jupiter XEROX Space & Defense Technology 2 September 22nd, 2004 10:45 AM
BAE Systems microprocessor guides Rover landing on Mars adsH Space & Defense Technology 2 March 31st, 2004 12:29 PM
NASA AND MARS! azam145 Space & Defense Technology 17 February 22nd, 2004 02:20 PM

Old March 20th, 2012   #2
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post
what would be the minimum velocity increment required for a two impulse transfer from earth to mars about the sun??
Are you asking what would be the velocity for a simple earth - Mars journey? Unmanned, with no time pressure. You could do it over years, decades.

If you didn't have a two firing mission, then lowest energy would be the inter planetary transport network. I think the original NASA proposals had a possible Venus flyby so the direct route may not always be the best one to take.
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012   #3
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayOZ View Post
Are you asking what would be the velocity for a simple earth - Mars journey? Unmanned, with no time pressure. You could do it over years, decades.

If you didn't have a two firing mission, then lowest energy would be the inter planetary transport network. I think the original NASA proposals had a possible Venus flyby so the direct route may not always be the best one to take.
yes , im talking about simple earth mars journey with no time pressure based on hoffmans transfer.Neglection the escape velocity of earth, we can assume the unmanned aircraft rotating in earths orbit around the sun.From there , with two velocity increments , it can be transferred to the orbit around mars.If so what would be those velocity increments.(im just doing some theoretical work on the same and would love to have your inputs )
Old March 21st, 2012   #4
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Its been ages since I studied orbital mechanics, I have a feeling its between 3-5.7km/s if you want a single shot from earth orbit. I see a bit of casual googling turns up loads of crap, I can see why your asking. I'll do a journal search at work and have a go at doing a napkin calculation.
Old March 21st, 2012   #5
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post
yes , im talking about simple earth mars journey with no time pressure based on hoffmans transfer.Neglection the escape velocity of earth, we can assume the unmanned aircraft rotating in earths orbit around the sun.From there , with two velocity increments , it can be transferred to the orbit around mars.If so what would be those velocity increments.(im just doing some theoretical work on the same and would love to have your inputs )
Don't be lazy, just wiki "hoffman's transfer" and plug in the numbers, the formula is already there.
PhysicsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012   #6
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Hmm is this a home work question? Lack of context and how it structured implies yes.

If you are after the velocity required with instant velocity (ie unrealistic) then it is a simple application of the Hohman (as the new texts call it) orbit formula which is really just the conservation of energy.

Remember your changing orbits around the sun.

It however isn't the ideal equation to calculate interplanetary travel because it doesn't take in effect all of the factors that realistically happen.
Old March 22nd, 2012   #7
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayOZ View Post
Hmm is this a home work question? Lack of context and how it structured implies yes.

If you are after the velocity required with instant velocity (ie unrealistic) then it is a simple application of the Hohman (as the new texts call it) orbit formula which is really just the conservation of energy.

Remember your changing orbits around the sun.

It however isn't the ideal equation to calculate interplanetary travel because it doesn't take in effect all of the factors that realistically happen.
.Ive been reading a little bit about interplanetary orbital transfers in MIT opencourse materials and juz want wanted to calculate theoretically the velocity increments needed for the transfer.I did some vague calculations and got first velcoity increment from orbit of earth around the sun to elliptcal orbit around the sun as 2.9km/s and then to an orbit of mars around the sun as 2.6km/sec(talking into consideration only the conservation of energy).But couldnt find any source to verify my answers.Further i want to add practcality into this theoretical speed to arrive at final speed required and would be great if you guyz could help me out
Old August 5th, 2012   #8
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Oke boys, today Mars Science Laboratory will land on the surface of Mars. It will be about 2 hours from now.....cant wait until we receive the first data and pictures.....

For more info and updates:
Mars Science Laboratory
Sandhi Yudha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012   #9
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Mars Science Laboratory just landed.
(more or less) live at CNN.com International - Breaking, World, Business, Sports, Entertainment and Video News
Sandhi Yudha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012   #10
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhi Yudha View Post
Mars Science Laboratory just landed.
(more or less) live at CNN.com International - Breaking, World, Business, Sports, Entertainment and Video News
Its awesome aint it

The mission is for 2 year but if this one can stand up to the 5 years till the reactor runs out it would be awesome and kinda normal. The others were only supposed to last a few months.
Belesari is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: