Iran launches satellite into space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manfred2

Well, we'll see.

Me, I will be impressed if it's still in a stable orbit by next week.

I know its a project born of hate; they probably think this means that they can put a nuclear bomb anywhere in the world. It might, if they had one small enough, and an accurate delivery system, and the kind of air-tight security they would need to get it up there before they get clobbered.

And you know, there are only half a dozen countries on Earth that are doing anything in Space... a rather pathetic indicator of human curiosity and ingenuity in this century. So... to the idea of Muslims in space, I say "its about time, Go for IT!"

PUNIT

One liners and useless comments not allowed. Read the rules please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sampanviking

Banned Member
I think you guys are looking at this from the wrong angle. They have launched a communications Satellite, so maybe you should be thinking about the ability of Iran to intercept communications and emails etc, plus track Military elements operating in the region and even the possible ramifications for the use of SATINTEL for their new Russian Air Defence Systems.

There are even ramifications for Iran building an AntiSat weapon.

I know this is a lot from one launch, but this is not Irans first Satellite, but their first domestic luanch. Having achieved it succesfully, I am sure others will soon follow.

Ibizan Hound

Banned Member
So how far is Israel going to let Iran go before they bump heads? At this rate of progress, Iran will be a military giant like China before a decision is made. No one really knows what this is but it shows independent strength.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you guys are looking at this from the wrong angle. They have launched a communications Satellite, so maybe you should be thinking about the ability of Iran to intercept communications and emails etc, plus track Military elements operating in the region and even the possible ramifications for the use of SATINTEL for their new Russian Air Defence Systems.
What the Tor-M1s? Pfft. Points ADS with limited integrating capability. Excellent point-ADS, but given that their overall network is outdated garbage it's hardly a worthy addittion. More importantly there are serious indicators that the systems are not destined for active service but instead are meant primarily for reverse engineering, which means that it will be some time before we see them or any of their components in Iranian active service.

There are even ramifications for Iran building an AntiSat weapon.

I know this is a lot from one launch, but this is not Irans first Satellite, but their first domestic luanch. Having achieved it succesfully, I am sure others will soon follow.
How soon? And being able to launch sattelites is a long ways away from an effective ASAT weapon. I don't see the technology leap being made any time soon.

The significance of the launch is that the Iranian military will finally have it's own sattelite recon capabilities. It will certainly help their status in comparison to their neighbors. It will definelty improve strategic capability at least to some extent. Just how much, I suspect we will never know.

Beatmaster

The significance of the launch is that the Iranian military will finally have it's own sattelite recon capabilities. It will certainly help their status in comparison to their neighbors. It will definelty improve strategic capability at least to some extent. Just how much, I suspect we will never know.
Feanor nice comment you post here but one seriouse question pops up,
If Iran is capable of shooting a sattelite or in this case a Intel sattelite into orbit, what good or bad will come from it?
It is also a little statement to its neighbours and to NATO/VS
Because here on the news the are displayed as just a low level army.
But what impact would it have to there overall relations in the region and to NATO/VS because Iran is not populair specially with there Nuclaire ambitions.
And in to my knowlegd having your own sat is at least to say pretty modern, specially if you compare this launch to what the news reporter is telling you on the news, because they say simply that Iran is just a bunch of upgraded thieves and rebbels.

nevidimka

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How soon? And being able to launch sattelites is a long ways away from an effective ASAT weapon. I don't see the technology leap being made any time soon.

Feanor, do you think/know if the Iran's space launch capability is due to Russian's help?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feanor nice comment you post here but one seriouse question pops up,
If Iran is capable of shooting a sattelite or in this case a Intel sattelite into orbit, what good or bad will come from it?
It is also a little statement to its neighbours and to NATO/VS
Because here on the news the are displayed as just a low level army.
But what impact would it have to there overall relations in the region and to NATO/VS because Iran is not populair specially with there Nuclaire ambitions.
And in to my knowlegd having your own sat is at least to say pretty modern, specially if you compare this launch to what the news reporter is telling you on the news, because they say simply that Iran is just a bunch of upgraded thieves and rebbels.
I don't know. Iran is a lot more then upgraded thieves and rebels that's for sure. If anything, Iran is a rising regional power in terms of it's MIC.

Feanor, do you think/know if the Iran's space launch capability is due to Russian's help?
Maybe. I suspect it's not the space launch that had Russian help, but the design of the sattelite. It's not that hard to build a tin can on top of a bomb.

nevidimka

OK, that was fast.

For those who haven't seen the rocket launch other than photo's, catch it here.

http://www.en.rian.ru/video/20090203/119957399.html

As you can see from the video, the rocket looks like a missile, very basic and small. Even its launch pad doesn't look advanced without a servicing tower in stationary position. And that small blue top, seems like its payload capacity.

The SS-18 is probably larger. But nevertheless, it is the 1st step, and a relevant 1 if Iran is able to continue with their space launch capability.

Beatmaster

I don't know. Iran is a lot more then upgraded thieves and rebels that's for sure. If anything, Iran is a rising regional power in terms of it's MIC.
Sorry just for the record what you mean with MIC?

And one other question for all of you do you think that Iran would be in the position or be able to take it to the next level?
I mean this is just one rocket they did build, would they be allowed to continue to getting smarter and more hightech?
Because this rocket how simple it may be can be upgraded to other goals i think.

Sampanviking

Banned Member
What the Tor-M1s? Pfft.
I was thinking more S-300's I know I did not see the sale officially acknowledged as part of the recent Air Defence weapons deal, but boy it was being telegraphed pretty loudly.

What have you heard from the Motherland Feanor?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry just for the record what you mean with MIC?

And one other question for all of you do you think that Iran would be in the position or be able to take it to the next level?
I mean this is just one rocket they did build, would they be allowed to continue to getting smarter and more hightech?
Because this rocket how simple it may be can be upgraded to other goals i think.
MIC is the Military Industrial Complex.

I was thinking more S-300's I know I did not see the sale officially acknowledged as part of the recent Air Defence weapons deal, but boy it was being telegraphed pretty loudly.

What have you heard from the Motherland Feanor?
Iran does not have any S-300 systems at this point in time, to the best of my knowledge. Keep in mind S-300 sites are fairly easy to ID from google-earth photos. Keep in mind Belarus only has a limited number of the systems, which it got from Russia back in '06, and would not be inclined to sell them. Nor would Russia be happy that systems which were meant for the joint IADS of the URB get sold off. The fallout would be quite notable if that indeed occured. Finally I doubt Russia has themselves at this point transfered the S-300. All we got were rumors, and wild claims by Iran. It's possible that some components of the system may have found their way into Iran. There is a black market after all. And there is Ukraine after all. But I don't think there are currently any operating S-300 systems in Iran.

Keep in mind telegraphing something loudly is not what you want to do when selling weapons to an intenationally condemned regime. I suspect this was meant more to send a message to the US. If anything, in the long term Iran is a threat to Russian interests in the CAR, and in Azerbaijan.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure..... why not? All it takes is a large rocket and a landing pod....

Is it difficult to do? Yes. Is it unfeasible? No. Remember we're not talking about state of the art communications systems. Just a man in outer space. Not exactly that hard.

nevidimka

I think its impossible for them to reach that deadline of 2021. If you remember, India launched its own 1st satellite in the 80's. That also a proper working sattelite, in a polar orbit that works longer than 3 weeks. But even they since then could only project 2015? as their target of man in space.

And iran is attempting to put man in space in 2021, after just launching their 1st temporary satellite last year? That is a little to fast for the Iranian ability.

Type59

The technology for building manned spacecraft can be bought. The Russians and Chinese would be willing to help out because Russia helped China to develop their programme.

Zzims

Tho i'm abit sadden to see a few comments which negates what Iran has accomplished.

I see this as another step among many in Humanities acceptance of Space Exploration. Give credit where its due. Its about time the monopoly of space
by developed nations is broken. Contrary to popular belief, Iran has other Ambitions for itself, other then western forged illusion of warmongering.

The Swordman

Future for Iran

I believe that all the effort that leads to the Iran's first satellite launch got two different origins.
First, they invested a lot of money into missle programs and they want to tell everybody that their hardware is gonna work. Second, they want to be in the market, just like North Korea.

Aside from Iran's space agency, all the missle are under the supervision of Pasdaran. Not the Army, not the Air Force. That's intriguing and cause me a lot of worry. A lot of the modern days corruption in that country is due to the Pasdaran activities, the most part of Iranian radicals (like their president) are Pasdaran.

Status
Not open for further replies.