GPS satellites

MaKrak

Welcom, I'm searching as many as possible informations about gps satellites. Especially, I would focused on construction, systems and elements which are consted of. I found some brochures and ads but its unsatisfactory. Can you recommend any books or textbooks?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Welcom, I'm searching as many as possible informations about gps satellites. Especially, I would focused on construction, systems and elements which are consted of. I found some brochures and ads but its unsatisfactory. Can you recommend any books or textbooks?
Hi, welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you try Google Search and Google Scholar and talk to your local library who should be able to help you locate appropriate texts.

MaKrak

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi, welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you try Google Search and Google Scholar and talk to your local library who should be able to help you locate appropriate texts.
Thank you for your response, but I have reviewed many books and wasn't found anything. That's why I asked for help on this forum.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thank you for your response, but I have reviewed many books and wasn't found anything. That's why I asked for help on this forum.
No probs. If that's the case then the information must be restricted and as such would not be available publicly. In that case it most definitely would not be discussed in this forum.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article discusses recent GPS disruptions and the civilian consequences of GPS warfare. I was not aware of the cheap commercial GPS jammers. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised as there must be a huge market consisting of employees who don’t want their movements micromanaged by employers.

The GPS Wars Are Here

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Apparently DoD and most commercial GPS users are upset about the FCC’s decision to allow Ligado to use the L-band spectrum for their terrestrial 5G network. This is claimed to be a real noise problem for GPS reception. If this is the case then it is beyond that the FCC signed off on this request.

buffy9

Apparently DoD and most commercial GPS users are upset about the FCC’s decision to allow Ligado to use the L-band spectrum for their terrestrial 5G network. This is claimed to be a real noise problem for GPS reception. If this is the case then it is beyond that the FCC signed off on this request.

Another article on the situation. It would seem concessions will have to be made for 5G, barring any major breakthrough in technology. The FCC is going to be hard pressed to argue with major departments, including the DoD.

I imagine the situation would hinder the roll-out of 5G elsewhere also if the decision did go ahead. It's hard to sell 5G infrastructure to a country when they risk losing GPS as a result.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I would think the blowback from private auto users of GPS will be enormous if their systems are screwed with. Some cars can use cell towers for navigation but I believe this requires a data plan. In Canada this is about $60-$90 per month whereas GPS is zero. Cell coverage is minimal for large regions of the country. Mind you, 5G here is a ways off. Maybe better solutions will emerge.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Unfortunately some of the approaches to 5G have also been shown to be problematic with the uplink between some NASA and NOAA satellites, with those depts. also complaining to the FCC I believe. Which is both concerning and disconcerting since some of the impacted satellites are weather surveillance satellites that are used to collect data on storms, storm formation, and probable storm tracks. Imagine if all of a sudden, the NWS suddenly could no longer give residents of a region an advisory that in a week they were likely to be impacted by a major storm. Instead, this gets replaced by a much smaller window were residents are only given maybe 72 or 48 hours notice that a major storm was about to hit. And when I mean a major storm, I mean things like a large area (multi-state) blizzard, or a hurricane.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
@Todjaeger Can't the FCC ruling be overturned on national security grounds?
Hard to say. I cannot think of a comparable example which would provide guidance. It could potentially turn into legal battle in the Federal court system, possibly between impacted gov't agencies and departments like DOD, NRO, NSA, NASA, et. al. and the FCC, or between those impacted and companies trying to roll out 5G systems, or a combination of the above.

The FCC is the body with authority for the US of RF spectrum in the US, and this includes spectrum used for national security. What I am wary of is whether or not ties between some of the FCC commissioners and potential 5G vendors/operators will influence the decisions.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Here’s an article describing the utilization of earth’s magnetic field as an alternative to GPS. Although accuracy is 10 meters versus GPS’s 3 meters, this alternative should be less vulnerable to jamming and no worries about kit being destroyed.