Electronic Armour

lobbie111

I heard a rumor going around that someone is developing new armour that uses electricity to strengthen the metallic bonds. This meaning that you can redirect power to any side of the tank to withstand bigger hits.

As a side effect of the armour a magnetic field builds up and provides a jamming system for things like radar and infra red.

Is this true?

Catalan

I heard a rumor going around that someone is developing new armour that uses electricity to strengthen the metallic bonds. This meaning that you can redirect power to any side of the tank to withstand bigger hits.
Never heard of this, although maybe it´s something they´re researching. I do know that there is ´electric reactive armor´. The idea is to use two conducting plates, and when the projectile perforates the first plate and impacts the second it completes a circuit and a consequent burst of electricity ´destroys´ the penetrating HEAT ´jet´ [actually, a solid projectile moving at hypervelocity].

As a side effect of the armour a magnetic field builds up and provides a jamming system for things like radar and infra red.
I don´t know about jamming RADAR, but new generation main battle tanks, including the M1A2 and the Israeli Merkava Mk. III and Mk. IV, have magnetic warning systems installed in the tank [I think the M1A2 has it around the turret bustle] which warns the tank´s crew when there´s an airborne threat [an attacking projectile, for instance].

Catalan

On the topic of electric armor, here is a PDF I uploaded before I went to Ft. Benning for basic training:

files.filefront.com/Electric_Armor_Against_Shspdf/;7449037;/fileinfo.html

I´m not allowed to post URLs yet, apparently, so you´ll have to reconstruct it into URL form!