Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Space & Defense Technology
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

F-35_launches_Joint_Strike_Missile.jpg

us-south-korea-drill.jpg

this-year-12700-us-troops-are-participating-alongside-many-more-south-korean-soldiers.jpg

the-us-routinely-dedicates-an-extremely-large-contingent-of-soldiers-and-marines-to-the-drills.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Communication with UAV without delay

This is a discussion on Communication with UAV without delay within the Space & Defense Technology forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; How the communication of UAV can be done from ground station without any delay??...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old May 19th, 2014   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Communication with UAV without delay

How the communication of UAV can be done from ground station without any delay??
Pallavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ukraine manufacturers of unmanned aerial vehicles andy1 Air Force & Aviation 14 June 1st, 2014 03:10 PM
Singapore Army Pictures OPSSG Military Photos & Videos 99 March 5th, 2014 06:23 AM
IN approaches ISRO for spy, communication satellite RealIndian Navy & Maritime 0 August 11th, 2004 11:27 PM
India to launch communication satellite over weekend Frozen Hell Missiles & WMDs 0 September 24th, 2003 10:55 AM

Old May 20th, 2014   #2
Deaf talker?
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
How the communication of UAV can be done from ground station without any delay??
If the two are able to establish a direct communications link, without requiring the use of any relays, repeaters, etc.

In practice this means the ground station is 'local' to the UAV area of ops.

-Cheers
Old May 20th, 2014   #3
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todjaeger View Post
If the two are able to establish a direct communications link, without requiring the use of any relays, repeaters, etc.

In practice this means the ground station is 'local' to the UAV area of ops.

-Cheers
Actually I have to setup a communication link between UAV and a base station that would be kept at ground. I thought about using radio module for video streaming but there'll be lag of half second. So what else is the option for video streaming with no lag??
Old May 20th, 2014   #4
Deaf talker?
General
Threads:
Quote:
Actually I have to setup a communication link between UAV and a base station that would be kept at ground. I thought about using radio module for video streaming but there'll be lag of half second. So what else is the option for video streaming with no lag??
On a practical level, there really are none. The more information which needs to be relayed, the greater the time/lag and/or the greater the bandwidth required, and the greater the distance between the UAV and control operator and/or intervening terrain features, then the more links in the communications chain. All of these are going to have an impact the communications.

If you want video streaming from the UAV back to a control operator, there is going to be some lag unless the two have a direct link and even then, depending on the level of detail, the transmission will require time.
Old May 20th, 2014   #5
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
So for minimum lag which device should I prefer ??
Old May 20th, 2014   #6
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todjaeger View Post
On a practical level, there really are none. The more information which needs to be relayed, the greater the time/lag and/or the greater the bandwidth required, and the greater the distance between the UAV and control operator and/or intervening terrain features, then the more links in the communications chain. All of these are going to have an impact the communications.

If you want video streaming from the UAV back to a control operator, there is going to be some lag unless the two have a direct link and even then, depending on the level of detail, the transmission will require time.
Old May 20th, 2014   #7
Deaf talker?
General
Threads:
Quote:
I cannot really tell you, as there are too many variables I do not know, and I admit I am not an expert in this area. I just happen to know some of the areas where issues can/do occur.

For instance, what is the application for the UAV? That will dictate what the UAV must be able to do, which will then drive all the other capability requirements.
Old May 21st, 2014   #8
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
There is always some delay, how ever fractional, things are rarely ever simultaneous to all observers. I doubt your planning a UAV for operation on the moon or Mars, but still something to concider (particularly if your using sat links).

So really the question is how much of a delay is acceptable. Digital video systems often have buffers, particularly on compressed video streams, as most compression systems work not just per frame, but across multiple frames, plus some sort of buffer on the receiving end to decompress and perhaps keep for smooth video playback, digital systems often have significant delays as most digital systems prioritise quality over lag.

Analog systems for example don't tend to have these issues by their inherent design, infact analog delay systems are usually quite complicated. The simplicity means you usually compromise resolution, picture quality, but you gain in immediacy.

Many small scale UAV projects that want to use a video feed to fly a UAV often use analog for video and flight controls, and digital for telemetry.
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: