China's Space Technology

gazzzwp

How possible would it be for China to disable US military satellites and cause havoc to their naval and air forces? China have demonstrated their ability to do this albeit with their own satellites; I presume that without detailed knowledge of the orbits of the US military satellites it would be very difficult; how easy would it be for the Chinese to obtain this information?

G

Belesari

Emmm depends. The Interceptor they used to do the Asat mission was basicly a one time thing. There was no possible way for it to manuver and it was on a very predictable orbit. Also the Vehicle and launcher itself was a very time consuming and expensive weapon. More than likely they US would detect any such movement and activity through human assets if not satelites.

Now the Chinese have shown they can blind our satelites not sure if they are up to much more at the moment. I think thats one reason the US has been developing the X-37B as a way to plug any holes in the satelite coverage.

I think much more likely is a cyber attack agaisnt our forces. Which we have been getting little jabs from chinese and others pretty much every day for years. Which they deny of course but still there is that

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most common sats are very easy to find and track. Amateur astronomers log and track lots of secret sats all the time, most orbits are known fairly accurately (not enough to target them). Tracking via radar is pretty easy, it can also be done optically as well. It is extremely easy.

Disabling them is a whole other thing. Unless the sat is in very low orbit, its relatively safe. Asat weapons are only useful in the very low orbit. Temporary spy/coms sats etc. The US has so many, and many different orbits that trying to blind the us is a silly game to play. China might remove any low orbit sat it finds particularly annoying

It is much easier to gain control of a sat than it is to hit it with a missile (not that either is easy).

gazzzwp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most common sats are very easy to find and track. Amateur astronomers log and track lots of secret sats all the time, most orbits are known fairly accurately (not enough to target them). Tracking via radar is pretty easy, it can also be done optically as well. It is extremely easy.

Disabling them is a whole other thing. Unless the sat is in very low orbit, its relatively safe. Asat weapons are only useful in the very low orbit. Temporary spy/coms sats etc. The US has so many, and many different orbits that trying to blind the us is a silly game to play. China might remove any low orbit sat it finds particularly annoying

It is much easier to gain control of a sat than it is to hit it with a missile (not that either is easy).

Thank you; some useful info there.:)

surpreme

The Chinese Space Program has made outstanding progess. Not to long ago China just launch a satelite. Major professional give China another decade before there space technology can be classfied in the world class arena.

W82DIE

I will say that China has made a great amount of progress in the recent years but is still no match compared to the US's development in technology. The United States actually has a space missile (nuclear) that can hit China in the time span of only an hour!

Admin. You've been banned for one day because you're posting so fast (aka post whoring) that its not possible to interrupt you in time.
Please read the forum rules before and if you come back in 24 hrs. Post whoring is not acceptable (ie rapid one line posting across a raft of threads just to get your count up)

Introduce yourself first in new members, and pace yourself. You don't need to shotgun your presence on here with multiple responses in such a short time.

Beatmaster

Alright, and what if China is using one of their high altitude aircraft with a nukemissile strapped to it to a shoot it onto the path of a passing sat? would the blast not destroy the intended target?
Or is there not a way to use laser to target sats?
I am pretty sure that its complex to achieve but imo i believe that US, EU, Russia and China can pull this off in some way, the skill, tech and cash flow is there so reason enough to believe that those sats fly around under a false security idea.

Let me put it this way, if we can put a man on the moon then i am pretty sure that killing a few sats childs play. given the tech we have available on earth.