C-130 pod?

willur

looks like a FLIR turret ,looks like it was a spooky crash if so that would be a FLIR for the right side gunner

Last edited:

willur

yes and no the last picture is a H model and I believe the first was a later model J or U if it was a spooky, the 2 pods shown are different and can't be properly classed as I haven't attempted to chase tail numbers. there is a different aerial arrangment on both and the pod on the last cant be properly see but has a flat head which could mean that it is a disco of some sort or active IR counter measure(reason is that it directs IR light to confuse IR missles and in testing was likened to a disco ball. The first photo although can't see the port side where the guns are is possibly a spooky crash for afghan skirmish early last year. reason i say its a spooky look on you tube for future weapons ac130-u vid, clearly shows the same pod.

willur

I will have at look on jane's when I get a chance, still from the photos shown 1 is most likely dedicated SPECOPS because it is a turrert, the last 2 are definately barge haulers and rear pods are either flare dipensers(unlikely), IR Contermeasure(maybe RWR except it is both sides).
ok found the original link to the photo the aircraft is stated and it is a FLIR turret
http://www.cargolaw.com/2005nightmare_c130.html
also crash listed in wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C-130_Hercules_crashes
MC-130H Talon II
The other 2 aircraft are c130h with countermeasures fitted

Last edited:

lumbercis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, so you are saying that the protrusion is just the housing for a DIRCM (for a C-130H) or FLIR (for an AC-130)? And that they are fitted as the mission requires?

J.

willur

yep and also SPECOP get them MC130 versions that what it look like from the pictures and is also confirmed in you link.

duxford

think its nemessis dircm uses laser to destroy missile iir seaker first gen used heat source to jam missile asaf and raf use it

SoCalSooner

C-130 crash list, seems incomplete

The below list does not include the crash of the Marine C-130 refueling tanker that crashed in Southwest Pakastain in 2006.