Australian M1A1 Abrams technology

A

Aussie Digger

Here's a nice little Article from the Auistralian Army magazine on Australia's new M1A1 Abrams, which are due to arrive in 2 shipments in June (next month!!!) and December 06.

The Abrams Files:

An Australian owned Abrams tank is currently on exhibition at the US Armor Symposium at Fort Knox in Kentucky, showcasing the technological advances of the Australian variant.

The tank is an M1A1 AIM SA (Abrams integrated management situational awareness), one of the most advanced of the Abrams main battle tanks. It is one of only a small number of vehicles in the world of such a configuration, all of which are Australian.

The M1A1 AIM SA features enhancements such as second-generation FLIR, an inertial navigation system in addition to the global positioning system, an auxiliary power unit, infantry/tank telephone, far target locator, and the Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below (FBCB2) battlefield management system. Modified for Australian conditions, the tank has crew cooling fans and a refrigeration unit, and can fit a deep-water fording kit.

The armour package of the Australian Abrams is among the most advanced in the world.
The US Armor Symposium is attended by a large audience of senior US military officers, armoured-vehicle users and procurement personnel. The event is intended to communicate the importance of the newest technology in relation to security, education, training, and awareness for US military members.

The US Army will seek to adopt many features of the Australian variants for introduction to their own Abrams fleet.

Obtained from: http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armynews/editions/1143/topstories/story20c.htm

Well despite misgivings about the reduced numbers we are getting (we are dropping from 3x tank Squadrons to 2x). The new tank looks like an absolute corker.

Whaddyareckon?

knightrider4

M1a1 Aim D

The Australian Abrams will use the new KEW-A2 round against armour and the MP-T round against personel, bunkers etc. Armour protection is not DU but a composite package similar to chobham ie; ceramic and steel mix.

Last edited:

The_Jet

The new tanks sound great! I'd like to get another squadron instead of the 2 squads we are getting now!

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
New Tanks

In a few years I could see another 40 odd tanks being purchased, once the new HNA scheme settles eg the 3RAR movement and re-organisation is finished. 59 are nice but it is only a basic capability and frankly way to low for the size of the Aus Army. Plus perhaps they are tesing the upgrade ie not have a Seasprite issue, old frames new systems...

knightrider4

3 Rar

Yeah I would like to see 3 RAR get their own organic armour when they become mechanised in 2010. I know the number of tanks (59) is small but we operate armour a lot differently to most armies. Our Abrams are for the support of infantry in a combined arms team (battlegroup) the need for tank on tank warfare would be rather limited I would think.

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bought, it's a heavy tungstun penetrator. I'm pretty sure it's German developed, but it may just be called something else in German service. 3RAR is most unlikely to get it's own tank squadron. More likely an additional Tank Sqn will be raised within 1 Armoured Regt to support them.

I won't hold my breath though. Army is happily on it's way to becoming an army of "2's" and we already have "2" tank Squadrons on order...

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
Bought, it's a heavy tungstun penetrator. I'm pretty sure it's German developed, but it may just be called something else in German service. 3RAR is most unlikely to get it's own tank squadron. More likely an additional Tank Sqn will be raised within 1 Armoured Regt to support them.

I won't hold my breath though. Army is happily on it's way to becoming an army of "2's" and we already have "2" tank Squadrons on order...
Will they be standard 14 tank sqns or a bit more enhanced?

Also do the Australian Army still use 3 tank trps like the UK?

Sorry for the questions, just seems that 59 taks is a lot to support two sqns of 28 tanks.

Padman

I agree 59 tanks does seem alot, even if you figure half a dozen for crew training, plus any down for maintanence. How maintanence intensive is an Abrams? I have heard they are prone to break easily. I know that Australia uses reserves alot to complement regular personnel. Are they maybe thinking of having tanks put aside for reserve use in case of all out war?

shamsi

Aussie Digger said:
Here's a nice little Article from the Auistralian Army magazine on Australia's new M1A1 Abrams, which are due to arrive in 2 shipments in June (next month!!!) and December 06.

The Abrams Files:

An Australian owned Abrams tank is currently on exhibition at the US Armor Symposium at Fort Knox in Kentucky, showcasing the technological advances of the Australian variant.

The tank is an M1A1 AIM SA (Abrams integrated management situational awareness), one of the most advanced of the Abrams main battle tanks. It is one of only a small number of vehicles in the world of such a configuration, all of which are Australian.

The M1A1 AIM SA features enhancements such as second-generation FLIR, an inertial navigation system in addition to the global positioning system, an auxiliary power unit, infantry/tank telephone, far target locator, and the Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below (FBCB2) battlefield management system. Modified for Australian conditions, the tank has crew cooling fans and a refrigeration unit, and can fit a deep-water fording kit.

The armour package of the Australian Abrams is among the most advanced in the world.
The US Armor Symposium is attended by a large audience of senior US military officers, armoured-vehicle users and procurement personnel. The event is intended to communicate the importance of the newest technology in relation to security, education, training, and awareness for US military members.

The US Army will seek to adopt many features of the Australian variants for introduction to their own Abrams fleet.

Obtained from: http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armynews/editions/1143/topstories/story20c.htm

Well despite misgivings about the reduced numbers we are getting (we are dropping from 3x tank Squadrons to 2x). The new tank looks like an absolute corker.

Whaddyareckon?
Why would Australia need the Abrams? Are they expecting an invasion anytime soon? Wouldnt the faster mobility vehicles with 120 MM smooth bore turrets be more suitable for the terrian down under?

nethappy

Aussie Army.

Why would Australia need the Abrams? Are they expecting an invasion anytime soon? Wouldnt the faster mobility vehicles with 120 MM smooth bore turrets be more suitable for the terrian down under?
Well the faster mobility vehicles with 120mm can't take a 120mm fire from another tank. Every Army need it tank there is a billion sitution where a few tank used tactical right can save your whole army. ]

It not a matter of invasion or not, it be amost useless if you get your tank just before a invasion. Do you know how long it take to be full train up with a new tank? Do you know how long to develop different tatic to suit the new tank? Everything take time, there is no point of doing in the last min.

Ozzy Blizzard

shamsi said:
The ADF is gearing to a more expeditionary role. If you look at our deployments in the last five years alone, Timor, Solomon islands, iraq, afgahanistan ect. thats why much of our regular army is being reorginised into combined armes battlegroups. So the issue of suitability to Australian terrain (remember that Australian terrain is verry diverse, we've got snow, desert, jungle, woodland, grassland and urbanized areas) is less relevent. The M1's will be much more likely to see action overseas. Yes the ADF's primary mission is the defence of Australia but any way you look at it , the Abrams is one bad motha and can do that job verry well!

cherry

Banned Member
Can someone please explain to me where the magic number of 14 came from for our tank squadrons? Is this because we have always operated squadrons of 14? Is this just speculation on everyone's behalf? If we are now reducing our active tank squadrons from three down to two, wouldn't it be better to have larger squadrons of around 20-25?

I just can't understand why it takes 59 Abrams tanks to provide only a mere 28 operational tanks, this is absurd! Based on what everyone is saying, there will actually be more tanks used for training and in maintenance (virtually brand new tanks I might add) than actual operational tanks. Again, what a joke!!! Could someone please break down the actual numbers of operational tanks (everyone is saying 2 x 14 = 28 for two squadrons), and of the 31 reserve tanks, how many will be in maintenance and how many will be required to be used for training? None of this makes any sense:mad:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I also think that 28 operational tanks are not very much. 14 tanks is for example just a company in the german army.
For me a bataillon should be the minimum dimension for a force which wants to be able to do some combined arms warfare in a larger way than just on a frontline of some km.
For example our main offensive brigades consist of 2 tank btls one mech infantry btl, one tank artillery btl and one tank pioneer company + attached units (Helicopters, logistic, etc).
I do not see that you are able to rotate enough heavy units to the frontline with just these two squadrons.
Or is your concept totally connected to the US as an ally?

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everyone chill, I've just been busy... :D

Okay, 1 Armoured Regt is to be issued 41 tanks for it's 2x Sabre Squadrons. Our tank Squadrons are equipped with 18 tanks per Sqn, with 4x troops of 4 tanks, 1x for the OC and 1x for the 2IC. The other 5x tanks are issued to CO, Regt 2IC, RSM, Exec officer and Ops officer etc.

The other 18 WILL be issued to the School of Armour and the RAEME School (for mechanics etc to learn how to fix them).

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
cherry said:
Can someone please explain to me where the magic number of 14 came from for our tank squadrons? Is this because we have always operated squadrons of 14? Is this just speculation on everyone's behalf? If we are now reducing our active tank squadrons from three down to two, wouldn't it be better to have larger squadrons of around 20-25?
UK, US and German armies use 14 tank sqns, the US use 4 tank platoons and the UK 3 tank troops. Not sure how the German army divides them up tho Waylander?