Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Space & Defense Technology
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_M1A1_0419a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_1759a.JPG

Nellis_14_2500-1.JPG

Nellis_14_2495-1.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Australian M1A1 Abrams technology

This is a discussion on Australian M1A1 Abrams technology within the Space & Defense Technology forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Here's a nice little Article from the Auistralian Army magazine on Australia's new M1A1 Abrams, which are due to arrive ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old May 21st, 2006   #1
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Australian M1A1 Abrams technology

Here's a nice little Article from the Auistralian Army magazine on Australia's new M1A1 Abrams, which are due to arrive in 2 shipments in June (next month!!!) and December 06.

The Abrams Files:

An Australian owned Abrams tank is currently on exhibition at the US Armor Symposium at Fort Knox in Kentucky, showcasing the technological advances of the Australian variant.

The tank is an M1A1 AIM SA (Abrams integrated management situational awareness), one of the most advanced of the Abrams main battle tanks. It is one of only a small number of vehicles in the world of such a configuration, all of which are Australian.

The M1A1 AIM SA features enhancements such as second-generation FLIR, an inertial navigation system in addition to the global positioning system, an auxiliary power unit, infantry/tank telephone, far target locator, and the Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below (FBCB2) battlefield management system. Modified for Australian conditions, the tank has crew cooling fans and a refrigeration unit, and can fit a deep-water fording kit.

The armour package of the Australian Abrams is among the most advanced in the world.
The US Armor Symposium is attended by a large audience of senior US military officers, armoured-vehicle users and procurement personnel. The event is intended to communicate the importance of the newest technology in relation to security, education, training, and awareness for US military members.

The US Army will seek to adopt many features of the Australian variants for introduction to their own Abrams fleet.

Obtained from: http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armyn...s/story20c.htm

Well despite misgivings about the reduced numbers we are getting (we are dropping from 3x tank Squadrons to 2x). The new tank looks like an absolute corker.

Whaddyareckon?
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M1A1 & M1A2 Abrams tank Darrel_topgun Army & Security Forces 0 May 15th, 2006 11:40 PM
‘Something’ felled an M1A1 Abrams tank in Iraq – but what? suleman Army & Security Forces 70 September 6th, 2005 09:54 PM
Australia - Why Abrams was chosen and how it will be used gf0012-aust Army & Security Forces 11 August 13th, 2004 09:56 PM
Australia chooses M1A1 tanks Aussie Digger Army & Security Forces 18 March 16th, 2004 08:18 PM
Australian Underwater USSV Technology on show gf0012-aust Space & Defense Technology 1 February 3rd, 2004 01:30 AM

Old May 21st, 2006   #2
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Very nice......indeed. What kind of armor package do you get with it?
Bfn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006   #3
Brigadier General
Threads:
Are depleated uranium SABOT rounds still in use? if so will we use them? Or just a heavy metal equivelent?
Ozzy Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006   #4
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
Threads:
Should I write my questions here again or is the discussion going on in this thread?

who can kill a modern Main Battle Tank (MBT)?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006   #5
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
M1a1 Aim D

The Australian Abrams will use the new KEW-A2 round against armour and the MP-T round against personel, bunkers etc. Armour protection is not DU but a composite package similar to chobham ie; ceramic and steel mix.

Last edited by knightrider4; May 22nd, 2006 at 06:06 AM.
knightrider4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006   #6
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
The new tanks sound great! I'd like to get another squadron instead of the 2 squads we are getting now!
The_Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006
robsta83
This message has been deleted by gf0012-aust. Reason: duplicate
Old May 22nd, 2006   #7
The Wanderer
Major
Threads:
New Tanks

In a few years I could see another 40 odd tanks being purchased, once the new HNA scheme settles eg the 3RAR movement and re-organisation is finished. 59 are nice but it is only a basic capability and frankly way to low for the size of the Aus Army. Plus perhaps they are tesing the upgrade ie not have a Seasprite issue, old frames new systems...
Old May 22nd, 2006   #8
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
3 Rar

Yeah I would like to see 3 RAR get their own organic armour when they become mechanised in 2010. I know the number of tanks (59) is small but we operate armour a lot differently to most armies. Our Abrams are for the support of infantry in a combined arms team (battlegroup) the need for tank on tank warfare would be rather limited I would think.
knightrider4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006   #9
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
Threads:
Is the KEW-A2 round self developed or is it bought?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006   #10
The Wanderer
Major
Threads:
KEW-A2 round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander
Is the KEW-A2 round self developed or is it bought?
AFAIK General Dynamics developed it so well be bringing them in I guess.
Old May 22nd, 2006   #11
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Bought, it's a heavy tungstun penetrator. I'm pretty sure it's German developed, but it may just be called something else in German service. 3RAR is most unlikely to get it's own tank squadron. More likely an additional Tank Sqn will be raised within 1 Armoured Regt to support them.

I won't hold my breath though. Army is happily on it's way to becoming an army of "2's" and we already have "2" tank Squadrons on order...
Old May 22nd, 2006   #12
Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analyst
Major
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Digger
Bought, it's a heavy tungstun penetrator. I'm pretty sure it's German developed, but it may just be called something else in German service. 3RAR is most unlikely to get it's own tank squadron. More likely an additional Tank Sqn will be raised within 1 Armoured Regt to support them.

I won't hold my breath though. Army is happily on it's way to becoming an army of "2's" and we already have "2" tank Squadrons on order...
Will they be standard 14 tank sqns or a bit more enhanced?

Also do the Australian Army still use 3 tank trps like the UK?

Sorry for the questions, just seems that 59 taks is a lot to support two sqns of 28 tanks.
Whiskyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006   #13
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I agree 59 tanks does seem alot, even if you figure half a dozen for crew training, plus any down for maintanence. How maintanence intensive is an Abrams? I have heard they are prone to break easily. I know that Australia uses reserves alot to complement regular personnel. Are they maybe thinking of having tanks put aside for reserve use in case of all out war?
Padman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006   #14
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Digger
Here's a nice little Article from the Auistralian Army magazine on Australia's new M1A1 Abrams, which are due to arrive in 2 shipments in June (next month!!!) and December 06.

The Abrams Files:

An Australian owned Abrams tank is currently on exhibition at the US Armor Symposium at Fort Knox in Kentucky, showcasing the technological advances of the Australian variant.

The tank is an M1A1 AIM SA (Abrams integrated management situational awareness), one of the most advanced of the Abrams main battle tanks. It is one of only a small number of vehicles in the world of such a configuration, all of which are Australian.

The M1A1 AIM SA features enhancements such as second-generation FLIR, an inertial navigation system in addition to the global positioning system, an auxiliary power unit, infantry/tank telephone, far target locator, and the Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below (FBCB2) battlefield management system. Modified for Australian conditions, the tank has crew cooling fans and a refrigeration unit, and can fit a deep-water fording kit.

The armour package of the Australian Abrams is among the most advanced in the world.
The US Armor Symposium is attended by a large audience of senior US military officers, armoured-vehicle users and procurement personnel. The event is intended to communicate the importance of the newest technology in relation to security, education, training, and awareness for US military members.

The US Army will seek to adopt many features of the Australian variants for introduction to their own Abrams fleet.

Obtained from: http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armyn...s/story20c.htm

Well despite misgivings about the reduced numbers we are getting (we are dropping from 3x tank Squadrons to 2x). The new tank looks like an absolute corker.

Whaddyareckon?
Why would Australia need the Abrams? Are they expecting an invasion anytime soon? Wouldnt the faster mobility vehicles with 120 MM smooth bore turrets be more suitable for the terrian down under?
shamsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006   #15
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Aussie Army.

Quote:
Why would Australia need the Abrams? Are they expecting an invasion anytime soon? Wouldnt the faster mobility vehicles with 120 MM smooth bore turrets be more suitable for the terrian down under?
Well the faster mobility vehicles with 120mm can't take a 120mm fire from another tank. Every Army need it tank there is a billion sitution where a few tank used tactical right can save your whole army. ]

It not a matter of invasion or not, it be amost useless if you get your tank just before a invasion. Do you know how long it take to be full train up with a new tank? Do you know how long to develop different tatic to suit the new tank? Everything take time, there is no point of doing in the last min.
nethappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: