Aircraft data link information.

martins

Aircraft data link information.

This is my first posting here and is as a result of some questions I cannot source information on, though I can find some small non specific pieces of the picture.

I understand that JAS-39 Gripen uses a non-Link 16 data link and I am interested to learn what frequency range it operates at. Given that Link-16 uses 969-1206MHz and Link-11 uses UHF airband 225-399MHz which of these two would be more suited for the Swedish datalink? Or is it operating elsewhere? I read that it is quite a high bandwidth link, lots of data, but that the Erie-Eye mini AWACS uses a smaller bandwidth medium data rate link to ground stations. Is that Link-16?

Thanks for any info.

M.

Mercurius

According to the head of the Swedish Air Force, Sweden is looking at the possibility of installing both Link 16 and Sweden's own datalink into the Gripen at some time in the future.

Mercurius Cantabrigiensis

Treachery

Link-16 uses NATO's L band, which is between 20 and 60 GHz. It shouldn't be confused with IEEE's L band, which operates at the MHz ranges. A 60 GHz signal has a wavelength of about 7.5 millimeters. That is why a Link-16 transponder employs a smaller antenna assembly but allows for a much wider data throughput at the MBPS level. You can't easily distribute encrypted real-time live video and tactical data over a KBPS connection.

There are common NATO frequencies (confidential to non-NATO members) and X-band regions for countries' individual military use.

sierrahotel

The Gripen uses the Tactical Information Datalink System (TIDLS) with range up to 300 miles.The link is working in the UHF (NATO C-D band), same as the NATO Link-16.

martins

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure from what you guys say which part of the spectrum it is now. On the one hand I'm lead to understand TIDLS and Link 16 use the same part of the spectrum but on the other hand I see the comment about Link 16 being 20-60GHz, sounds rather high but I have no data to judge from other than a UK tactical data link web page that says 960-1200MHz.

I am wondering what the likely hood of non-NATO countries getting Link 16 is and lacking that what the preferred route to a capable interoperable data link scenario might be?

In either case I see no suggestion that the Swedish Gripen TIDLS link operates in the 225-400MHz military UHF airband segment which is what I really want to confirm one way or the other.

I would be interested to know who the Gripen avionics suppliers are and presume that only Swedish companies are producing the TIDLS radios.

Many thanks folks,
M.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I am wondering what the likely hood of non-NATO countries getting Link 16 is and lacking that what the preferred route to a capable interoperable data link scenario might be?
It's one thing for non-NATO countries to get the Link-16 hardware (which is not difficult), but the tough part comes to getting the crypto approved for release. Each NATO member must approve the release of crypto to non-NATO members, not an easy process.

stump1100

Link-16 uses NATO's L band, which is between 20 and 60 GHz. It shouldn't be confused with IEEE's L band, which operates at the MHz ranges. A 60 GHz signal has a wavelength of about 7.5 millimeters. That is why a Link-16 transponder employs a smaller antenna assembly but allows for a much wider data throughput at the MBPS level. You can't easily distribute encrypted real-time live video and tactical data over a KBPS connection.

There are common NATO frequencies (confidential to non-NATO members) and X-band regions for countries' individual military use.
Mate, Link-16 uses only the L band portion of the UHF band; 960 - 1215MHz), not sure where you get the 20-60 GHz from.

For OP, note that Link-11 can operate 2 - 30MHz and 225 - 400MHz

JohanGrön

According to the head of the Swedish Air Force, Sweden is looking at the possibility of installing both Link 16 and Sweden's own datalink into the Gripen at some time in the future.

Mercurius Cantabrigiensis
There already are elements of Link-16 functionality in the Gripen (IFF and NATO-radio AFAIK) but full functionality will come in block 19 (2008). Of course there are already the Swedish data-link installed in the Gripen.

Look at page 7 in this pdf.

Last edited: