Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Self Defense
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

2A3_Kondensator.jpg

LMV-6.jpg

LMV-4.jpg

LMV-3.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

What gun do you carry?

This is a discussion on What gun do you carry? within the Self Defense forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; A sawed-off single shot 16GA. In your face, Feds!!!!...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old October 20th, 2012   #31
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
A sawed-off single shot 16GA.
In your face, Feds!!!!
ssgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012   #32
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Oh BTW I was wondering, are fully automatic and burst-fire pistols like the Glock 19 and Beretta 93R legal for civillians in USA ?

And are law enforcement officials and/or ex-military defense contractors ( PMCs) in countries like UK & Australia permitted to own burst/full-auto HANDGUNS ?

Last edited by Eeshaan; October 24th, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Eeshaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012   #33
Deaf talker?
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeshaan View Post
Oh BTW I was wondering, are fully automatic and burst-fire pistols like the Glock 19 and Beretta 93R legal for civillians in USA ?
Fully automatic weaponry can be legally owned by civilians within the US, provided the proper licenses and paperwork is completed. However, in order for a fully automatic weapon to be legal, it needs to be properly registered (usually referred to as "papered"). IIRC the last time the registration was opened for automatic weapons was in 1968, which means newer full autos would not be registered and therefore not legal to own. There might be some exploitable loopholes where a LEO/mil. personnel could purchase/own a newer full auto, and then register that due to their status, and then have the weapon enter circulation... That honestly though one would need to carefully take up with a lawyer specializing in firearms law and/or BATFE.

-Cheers
Old October 24th, 2012   #34
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Thanks Toddjaeger.

And I think the gun laws in UK & EU, Australia etc. are a bit harsher than USA ? As in, harder for an LEO/private contractors to purchase an automatic/burst firearm ?

Edit : I meant EX-servicemembers & private military contractors/consultants etc., NOT non-active duty personnel such as army reserves etc. in my previous post. Edited that now.
Old October 25th, 2012   #35
Just a bloke
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Thanks Toddjaeger.

And I think the gun laws in UK & EU, Australia etc. are a bit harsher than USA ? As in, harder for an LEO/private contractors to purchase an automatic/burst firearm ?

Edit : I meant EX-servicemembers & private military contractors/consultants etc., NOT non-active duty personnel such as army reserves etc. in my previous post. Edited that now.
No-one in Australia is allowed to privately own an operable automatic weapon of any kind and even semi-automatic weapons are highly restricted. The military, Police Tactical Teams and some other Government organisations (Customs, etc) are the only legally authorised persons to use automatic weapons in the course of their duties in this country.

We don't have a constitutional right to bear arms in the manner that the US does and I for one am VERY thankful for that!

What anyone in civilian life needs an automatic weapon for, is completely beyond my powers of comprehension, I'm afraid.
ADMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012   #36
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
I agree with you there, sir. Semi-automatic weapons such as pump-action shotguns and Rifles, pistols etc. are adequate for home-defense in civilian hands. RESPONSIBLE civilian hands.

But I think it's the people in high-risk jobs, such as law enforcement officials in less-than-safe countries like Mexico, Colombia etc. or retired servicemen who served in high risk units such as Special Forces etc., who should be allowed to carry automatic or burst fire CONCEALABLE weapons ( such as a Glock 19 or mini-Uzi), ONLY IF they feel their lives are at risk due to their service history, or dangerous living environment.

Last edited by Eeshaan; October 25th, 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old October 25th, 2012   #37
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
What anyone in civilian life needs an automatic weapon for, is completely beyond my powers of comprehension, I'm afraid.
Seagulls mostly, flying rats, kill them all!!!!

Sorry for the one liner but I couldn't help myself.
Volkodav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012   #38
Deaf talker?
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkodav View Post

If you wish to see rats with wings, take a look at NYC pigeons. There have been times when I have been in the city wished for an AA-12. And pigeons generally have been blamed for some of the decay noted in steel structures, bridges in particular. IIRC one of the interstate highway bridges which collapsed a few years ago and fell into the Mississippi River was partially blamed on accelerated corrosion due to pigeon guano.

-Cheers
Old October 26th, 2012   #39
Just a bloke
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
I agree with you there, sir. Semi-automatic weapons such as pump-action shotguns and Rifles, pistols etc. are adequate for home-defense in civilian hands. RESPONSIBLE civilian hands.
I've no beef with that mindset at all, I heartily agree. I might argue that military based semi-automatic weapons (M4's etc) are pushing the boundary of what ANYONE "needs" in life, but I don't begrudge anyone who wants one and is lawfully entitled to own one (or more).

Quote:
But I think it's the people in high-risk jobs, such as law enforcement officials in less-than-safe countries like Mexico, Colombia etc. or retired servicemen who served in high risk units such as Special Forces etc., who should be allowed to carry automatic or burst fire CONCEALABLE weapons ( such as a Glock 19 or mini-Uzi), ONLY IF they feel their lives are at risk due to their service history, or dangerous living environment.
Some LEO and obviously military forces need automatic weapons of course as part of their duties.

Why a retired Special Force type would require automatic weapons or indeed even the right to usually carry them in daily life, I'm not quite getting.

If their life is at risk because of their former occupation, then they need more then a concealed carry automatic weapon to protect them.

Salman Rushdi has had some issues I understand, due to his former occupation. It hasn't been his carriage of automatic weapons that has protected and prolonged his life however...

People who do dangerous (or even just famous) things for a living and attract people who may want to do them harm, have to live by certain means and take certain precautions in their daily life.

I'm not sure concealable, 9mm automatic (or any other calibre) weapons is necessarily the answer though.

Whilst these people "might" be responsible, I just don't see it as necessary.
Old October 26th, 2012   #40
Just a bloke
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkodav View Post

A .22 semi-auto with birdshot would be more appropriate...

Speaking of which, back in my uniform days I went to a job once, where a pest controller was tasked with clearing out a massive Sparrow infestation at a major suburban shopping centre.

His solution? Start blazing away with said .22 semi-auto rifle in a public place, without telling anyone, heedless of the public, the law and so on...

Good times...

Old October 27th, 2012   #41
General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Yes but a .50cal would be more fun wouldn't it?

Might sound stupid but I have never (to my knowledge) ever shot a living thing, put lots and lots of rounds down range but never had a living thing in the sight picture and squeezed the trigger. Many mice and rats, even to odd snake have met their end at my hands, just never with a gun. Pidgeons on the other hand I leave to my dog, quite spectacular seeing a 50kg dog leap in the air and catch one in flight.
Old October 27th, 2012   #42
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:

Speaking of which, back in my uniform days I went to a job once, where a pest controller was tasked with clearing out a massive Sparrow infestation at a major suburban shopping centre.

His solution? Start blazing away with said .22 semi-auto rifle in a public place, without telling anyone, heedless of the public, the law and so on...

Good times...

Reminds me of the time when I was a teenager and my older brother, who isn't much of a shooter, found an eastern brown snake in our driveway. His comment when he came into the house was "there's a snake out there, I'll go get the .308"...

For the record, the snake was sitting on concrete and nestled up against a brick wall, and we lived pretty much smack bang in the middle of town, on the same block as the local cop shop! And he wanted to unleash a bloody .308 on the thing!

I'm twelve years his junior but regardless, I had to tell him to shut up and get a shovel...
Bonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012   #43
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
I forgot to say, I have an American made high-tech hunting crossbow, that I got from the USA.

And damn, does it look badass or what. It uses a loader to load the bolts, and believe me, just take a look at one of those bolts ( theyre precision engineered stainless steel/titanium tips). Any living creature would rather get hit by a .50 cal bulet than one of those tips.

But the joke ( and fail ) is on me as hunting is illegal in India HAHA. But at least I am a proud owner of an awesome American made hunting crossbow.

I must say in this case, "America, **** yeah ! "
Old October 27th, 2012   #44
General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonza View Post
Reminds me of the time when I was a teenager and my older brother, who isn't much of a shooter, found an eastern brown snake in our driveway. His comment when he came into the house was "there's a snake out there, I'll go get the .308"...

For the record, the snake was sitting on concrete and nestled up against a brick wall, and we lived pretty much smack bang in the middle of town, on the same block as the local cop shop! And he wanted to unleash a bloody .308 on the thing!

I'm twelve years his junior but regardless, I had to tell him to shut up and get a shovel...
Found a very happy, full and content brown coiled inside the "humane" mouse trap I use in the avery.
Old December 4th, 2012   #45
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I only have a simple bandookh.
sinchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: