The Zumwalt Class

JonMusser

so what does everyone think about the Zumwalt should production stop at 3 or sold it stop at 20 as originally planed or should the entire program be scraped?
it is projected to be a platform for experimental tech but do we need it?
isn't the DDG-51 preforming well?
what well americas Destroyers look like following the Zumwalt will it be like the Seawolf and Virginia? where a things learned are incorporated into a new platform?

Abraxas

I personally think the whole "tumblehome" concept sacrifices too much in terms of stability and possible displacement for its stealth capabilities.

JonMusser

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I personally think the whole "tumblehome" concept sacrifices too much in terms of stability and possible displacement for its stealth capabilities.
i was actuality suprised they decided to use a design such as that however it is probably the most stealth ship in existence i am not completely sure if another design would have been as capable?
i do wonder if the CGX well carry the same design

Duffy

I think the USN is going to stay with the Arleigh Burke class for some time.
The last I read was General Dynamics would build three DDG-1000 as technology demonstrators at the around $3.5 Billion each :rolleyes:
Seawolf is a class of subs that thy stopped at three , The Virginia class is also a sub that are to replace the Los Angeles class.

JonMusser

Seawolf is a class of subs that thy stopped at three , The Virginia class is also a sub that are to replace the Los Angeles class.
i know the Seawolf is subs that is what i am saying well they use the same program outline to build a new class after the Zumwalt and i have read nothing confirming that the us navy plans to restart production i read they were considering it but nothing conclusive yet.

Duffy

Sorry I don't under stand you question. The seawolf production ended at three do to cost . The navy is only going forward with the Virginia class. Its a lot cheaper and supposedly just as quiet.

The Zumwalt will stop at three also i don't believe any are complete . I hope this helps.

Abraxas

i know the Seawolf is subs that is what i am saying well they use the same program outline to build a new class after the Zumwalt and i have read nothing confirming that the us navy plans to restart production i read they were considering it but nothing conclusive yet.
They haven't even started the Zumwalt yet. In fact, has a final design even been chosen yet? I know there is still a lot of debate over whether it's going to be nuclear or not...

JonMusser

Sorry I don't under stand you question. The seawolf production ended at three do to cost . The navy is only going forward with the Virginia class. Its a lot cheaper and supposedly just as quiet.

The Zumwalt will stop at three also i don't believe any are complete . I hope this helps.
yes so is the us navy going to build a ship like it did following the seawolf the sort of speack Virginia in the destroyer world well the navy call for a new design destroyer with more stealth than the Arleigh Burke and less expensive than the Zumwalt

JonMusser

They haven't even started the Zumwalt yet. In fact, has a final design even been chosen yet? I know there is still a lot of debate over whether it's going to be nuclear or not...
um the Keel for the Zumwalt has been laid according to Wikki...

and it well not be nuclear destroyers well not become nuclear under all navel plans the CGX might but destroyers well stay with gas for the foreseeable future

Duffy

Earlier this year I read the navy would pay General Dynamics to build three
with an estimated cost of $3.5 Billion each . I don't recall any type of time frame or date for delivery. I was clear that it was to technology demonstrator
The original propulsion was electric but what supplies the power is any ones guess. The concept had rail guns and all kind of power hungry equipment but I don't recall a reactor.

I will see if I can find some info

Duffy

Not at this time, There just going to continue the Arleigh Burke class with up grades.
The cost of developing a class in between the Arleigh Burke and the Zumwalt would be enormous. So will live with the Burke class for awhile.

JonMusser

Not at this time, There just going to continue the Arleigh Burke class with up grades.
The cost of developing a class in between the Arleigh Burke and the Zumwalt would be enormous. So will live with the Burke class for awhile.
electric power but that powerd by gas generators as of yet is what i herd but that deal for 3 more ships hasent been confirmed

Duffy

Definitely, the task of redesigning a destroyer is not small. I think thy got a little ahead of technology with the Zumwalt class. But any thing learned can be applied to both DDG-1000 and any new Burke's thy build.
The price is up there

JonMusser

Definitely, the task of redesigning a destroyer is not small. I think thy got a little ahead of technology with the Zumwalt class. But any thing learned can be applied to both DDG-1000 and any new Burke's thy build.
The price is up there
as far as i know ddg-1000 completly replaced by zumwalt which is why they would use the leesons learned and tech gained for the CG/CGN-21

Duffy

I hope thy can use something from the project. Thy have spent ten year and who know how much money on the program.There was a lot of proof of concepts tied to that design that could be used on a number of on going projects.CVNXX and LCS to name a few.

It definitely sound like the navy is not going to commit to the new design at this time .
All the info I can find point's to building three Zumwalt(DDG-1000) and three Arleigh Burke(DDG-51)

Duffy

I did some digging to see when these would enter service. I think the navy really misunderstood the roll they would be playing in the next decade. Or the designers were allowed just a little too much freedom.

MISSION ORIENTATION and DESIGN FEATUR’S

It is to be a multi mission destroyer with an emphasis on naval surface fire support and operations in littoral water? This ship is 600ft long has a beam of 80ft with a draught of 27.6ft and loaded displaces 14797 ton??????

It’s to have a reduced size crew of 142 sailors’. (Half the crew of the DDG-51 Class) The superstructure is partly of composite materials. It will have a new kind of VLS along with two 155mm advanced gun system(AGS).Which will fire a new rocket-assisted shell out to ranges over 60 nm. Two were procured in FY 2007 for $6,634.2 million for both.

The last DDG-51 # 63 will enter service around 2012 and these were to start rolling out right behind but the navy wants’ to stop production at two until FY2017 and build at least eight more DDG-51.

In August 2008 Adm. Gary Roughead, chief of naval operations had this to say about the class.

“The DDG-1000 Zumwalt class destroyer does not have the crucial missile and air defense capabilities and defending against submarines would be difficult. I started looking at the DDG-1000, it has a lot of technology but it cannot perform broader intergraded air and missile defense. Submarines can get very close and it does not have the ability to take on the treat.”

So as of right now the navy would like eight more DDG-51 after number 63 is complete. Then use the two Zumwalt’s as a proof of concept .and deal with the DDG-1000 and the CGX around 2017. Those two classes may share the same hull.

All the info is in PDF so I will post the like below

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RL32109.pdf

Last edited:

Valin

Zumwalt/DDG1000 is a doomed project. Much like the other '21' Force proposals, it is not really practical for where the US Military is headed. Zumwalt/DDG1000 would be a great asset to a fleet that numbers over 600, but with a 313 Vessel Fleet, the appropriate supporting cast is non existent. The only problem is, a new flight of Burkes dosent quite fit into the future force structure well either, and it will cost almost as much to build these outdated ships as it would to build the new capability ship.

Snafu.....

I think it's a little premature to call DDG-51 "Outdated" simply because there's another program in the wings that might or might not be better. These ships have and continue to accomplish all tasks set for them. What in the world out there is better? Certainly nothing Russian, Chinese or Indian. So why the rush to spend 3.5 bil per copy on a funny-looking ship full of unproven and possibly unnecessary widgets and gizmos?

Cheers