Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Nellis_14_T-birds_1543-1.JPG

Nellis_14_T-birds_1441-1.JPG

Nellis_14_T-birds_1491-1.JPG

Nellis_14_GR4_0963-1.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

worlds most powerful NUKE SUB

This is a discussion on worlds most powerful NUKE SUB within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; I wondered one day that whcih NUKE SUB is the most powerful with respect to the weapons and speed etc. ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old June 21st, 2005   #1
Private
Threads:
Question worlds most powerful NUKE SUB

I wondered one day that whcih NUKE SUB is the most powerful with respect to the weapons and speed etc. then i heard about the USA's NEBRASLA. I do not remember the spelling of this SUB. I heard that it is thought to be the most power ful SUB of the world. Any way it is the USA's most powerful SUB.
If any one o you can tell which excetly is the most powerful sub of the world.Is it Russian or Is it American or from some othere country
Old June 21st, 2005   #2
Lieutenant Colonel
Threads:
Re: worlds most powerful NUKE SUB

The USS Nebraska is one of 14 Ohio class SSBN's in the USN. Four of the class have already been (or are currently undergoing) refitting to guided missile subs with the added ability to deploy special ops forces. The fleet has been reduced per agreements with Russia on nuclear weapons reductions. It was decided to convert the four subs rather than put them in mothballs, since they still had a lot of life left in them.

Ohio class is indeed a powerful submarine, each boat carries 24 Trident II nuclear missiles. Each missile can carry 8 independently target warheads, and has a range of 4,000nm. About 50% of the US nuclear deterrent rests in the Ohio class.

The Russian sub fleet has suffered almost total decay due to lack of funding, the boats that are considered theoretically seaworthy are generally unable to deploy due to lack of crews and maintenance, and aging weapons.

China's has only one XIA class SSBN, which is considered obsolete. IIRC, Their new Type 094 is reported to be launched, but does not have any missiles, so it sits in port. China's nuclear submarine fleet has suffered from reactor problems and missile problems, and is not considered a credible force.

Given the decrepit state of the Russian fleet, and the lack of missiles and platforms in the PLAN, there is no other country that comes even remotely close to the US in Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarines.
Old June 24th, 2005   #3
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:

what do u think about the lastest reported JL-2 missle launched by chinese nuke sub?
Old June 24th, 2005   #4
Lieutenant Colonel
Threads:

There is a JL-2 thread here:

http://defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3865

This thread is now closed as per the no "World's Best ______" topics rule.

http://defencetalk.com/forums/announcement.php?f=30
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: