What has happened to the destroyer "Split"

glennkasner

Does anyone know what has happened to the Yugoslavian destroyer "Split"? Was she sold to another country or perhaps scrapped?
Any info would be welcome

Big-E

Banned Member
glennkasner said:
Does anyone know what has happened to the Yugoslavian destroyer "Split"? Was she sold to another country or perhaps scrapped?
Any info would be welcome
In 1984 the Koni frigate Split was renamed after the capital Beograd (Belgrade). She currently rusts in Trivat serving in the Serbian navy.

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
well the Split, finaly completed to Yugoslavian navy in 4.7 1958 after prolonged building time, served well as flag ship of the JRM and occasionally as presidental yatch for Tito as well. It was removed from the fleet list somewhere in early 80-81 and sold for scrabing to indonesia.

..and the name was allogated to a Koni class patrol ship bougth from USSR, it was renamed to Beograd after the brake-up to my knowlidge and it believed to be non operational. There have been rumours of all Koni related small frigates of the yugoslavian navy to be sold to either Sri Lanka or Egybt, and now as the montenegro become independet, this migth come to fruition...

contedicavour

Gollevainen said:
well the Split, finaly completed to Yugoslavian navy in 4.7 1958 after prolonged building time, served well as flag ship of the JRM and occasionally as presidental yatch for Tito as well. It was removed from the fleet list somewhere in early 80-81 and sold for scrabing to indonesia.

..and the name was allogated to a Koni class patrol ship bougth from USSR, it was renamed to Beograd after the brake-up to my knowlidge and it believed to be non operational. There have been rumours of all Koni related small frigates of the yugoslavian navy to be sold to either Sri Lanka or Egybt, and now as the montenegro become independet, this migth come to fruition...
I doubt any navy would want these old 100-metre light frigates (especially not the first 2 imported from Russia) which operate obsolete Styx 40-km range SSM missiles very vulnerable to EW, and SA-N-4 Gecko 10-km range AAW missiles and only rudimentary ASW. No helos either.
That is, unless the ships were completely revamped, the Styx replaced by Russian Uran or Swedish RBS-15 missiles (these were actually supposed to be fitted before the old Yugoslavia collapsed).
The investment may be worth it on the 3rd and 4th units, built in Croatia in the late '80s, still I would be surprised that this "update" would ever happen

cheers

Big-E

Banned Member
contedicavour said:
I doubt any navy would want these old 100-metre light frigates (especially not the first 2 imported from Russia) which operate obsolete Styx 40-km range SSM missiles very vulnerable to EW, and SA-N-4 Gecko 10-km range AAW missiles and only rudimentary ASW. No helos either.
That is, unless the ships were completely revamped, the Styx replaced by Russian Uran or Swedish RBS-15 missiles (these were actually supposed to be fitted before the old Yugoslavia collapsed).
The investment may be worth it on the 3rd and 4th units, built in Croatia in the late '80s, still I would be surprised that this "update" would ever happen

cheers
Definetly, no one is going to buy the Konis except as scrap.