Vertical launch systems: costs breakdown?

Torlek

How much does it cost to install a Mark 41 vertical launch system on a ship?

How much does it cost in terms of the cell itself? The advanced electronic systems throughout the ship? The labor?

John Newman

The Bunker Group
How much does it cost to install a Mark 41 vertical launch system on a ship?

How much does it cost in terms of the cell itself? The advanced electronic systems throughout the ship? The labor?
Simple answer, "how long is a piece of string? It's a long as you want to cut it!"

There is no simple answer to that question, too many variables.

Have a look at the links below and you will see how many 'combinations' of the various types of ships that have it installed and of course there are the three different 'lengths' too, Strike, Tactical and Self Defence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_41_Vertical_Launching_System

http://www.lockheedmartin.com.au/co...s2/documents/launchers/MK41_VLS_factsheet.pdf

Again, "How long is a piece of string?"

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
and we had a similar question from another member (now banned) who asked the same question around corvettes

the same answers and responses apply just as much to this thread

Torlek

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Simple answer, "how long is a piece of string? It's a long as you want to cut it!"

There is no simple answer to that question, too many variables.

Have a look at the links below and you will see how many 'combinations' of the various types of ships that have it installed and of course there are the three different 'lengths' too, Strike, Tactical and Self Defence.

Again, "How long is a piece of string?"
Perhaps to be on the conservative side, then: Strike length, 8 cells (since the minimum at the moment is 8 cells each).

rhk111smilitaryandarmspage.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/mk13-to-mk41-launcher-conversion-for-oliver-hazard-perry-frigates/

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Perhaps to be on the conservative side, then: Strike length, 8 cells (since the minimum at the moment is 8 cells each).
Here's you link:

https://rhk111smilitaryandarmspage....-conversion-for-oliver-hazard-perry-frigates/

Again (and I am being polite), there is no simple answer to that question, it is still a how long is a piece of string question.

Looking at the link you provided, whoever wrote that article came up with 'guesstimates' of cost of installation to the RAN's FFG's, and that is all they are, guesstimates.

A Government could go to LM and request pricing on the '8 cells' you mentioned, is it 8 cells only? Is it part of a larger order of 188 cells? What sort of spares and support package is being included or not?

As to fitting to an 'existing' ship, again way too many variables.

You could have a ship that when it was designed and built had 'space and weight' allowances included, in that case, it would be a far simpler exercise, cut the hole in the deck and drop the cells into the space that had been provided.

On the other hand a ship that did not have those allowances during design and construction, could require a 'significant' re-work of the spaces below the deck, that would become a very expensive exercise.

And of course there are the ships sensors, does the ship have existing sensors that the VLS system can be integrated into, or does the ship need new or upgraded sensors?

Mate, sorry, but you are not going to get the answer you are looking for.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heres a recent order:

Korea ­ Mk41 Vertical Launch Systems

Could be up to six hundred million dollars "if all options are exercised" and includes some US personnel to assist.

Other examples could be more. Or less. Depending on what's being bought - point being, these aren't items like cars or printers where you just tick the box saying "give me 64 cells".

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Other examples could be more. Or less. Depending on what's being bought - point being, these aren't items like cars or printers where you just tick the box saying "give me 64 cells".
Agree.

You can't just tick a box and know the answer.

But also, if you were purchasing 1 car from a dealer, the 'sticker' price would be known, if you then said 'I want 64 cars' it would be a different price again, volume discount.

Reminds me back in the day when I was an IT Manager, each time I was putting the Cap EX expenditure budget together I would tally up the total number of PC's, Laptops and Printers requested.

I'd obtain a price from the manufacturer on a 'single' PC, I'd then go back and obtain a price on '100' PC's to be procured over a 12 month period (totally different price), I'd then contact a 'broker' I used who dealt with the manufacturers.

He would then go back to them and say (and this was based on his 'pool' of clients), and request pricing on 1000 or 2000 PC's over a 12 month period, a totally different price again.

B.Smitty

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If you just look at the SCN line item for the Mk41 VLS for the new DDGs, the cost is around $51-54 million per ship set (twelve modules). For hardware alone, the cost drops to $33-36 million per ship set.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If you just look at the SCN line item for the Mk41 VLS for the new DDGs, the cost is around $51-54 million per ship set (twelve modules). For hardware alone, the cost drops to $33-36 million per ship set.
..Yes the paper says 'X', (in black & white), but again, you are missing the point.

The US Navy ALREADY owns this equipment, the service spares, the expertise, the knowledge the maintenance equipment, etc, etc, that mean the cost per unit is LOWER than say someone ordering the equipment for the 1st time.

It is not comparing apples with apples, so to speak.

SA

B.Smitty

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
..Yes the paper says 'X', (in black & white), but again, you are missing the point.

The US Navy ALREADY owns this equipment, the service spares, the expertise, the knowledge the maintenance equipment, etc, etc, that mean the cost per unit is LOWER than say someone ordering the equipment for the 1st time.

It is not comparing apples with apples, so to speak.

SA
The original poster didn't specify any context to their query. Context is everything.

The numbers I posted aren't "wrong". They're just specific to the SCN accounting practices and purchase for DDGs 121, 123 and 125 by the USN.

Other Mk41 contracts and accounting practices will result in different unit prices.

YMMV, as always.