Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

US Navy News and updates

This is a discussion on US Navy News and updates within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by AegisFC The problem plagued San Antonio is in Bahrain for a couple weeks due unacceptable problems with ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.00 average.
Old November 8th, 2008   #76
Major
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisFC View Post
The problem plagued San Antonio is in Bahrain for a couple weeks due unacceptable problems with the lube oil system.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/1...ntonio_110608/

Pictures of the faulty welds can be found here.

http://www.coltoncompany.com/newsand...%20Defects.pdf

First of class ships have problems but this ship was just poorly built and the USN never should of accepted it from Northrop-Grumman.
the San Antionos are a truly depressing tale of cost overruns an criminally incompetent build and still bits being found not be working at least the 3 and 4 seem alright
Old November 8th, 2008   #77
Defense Enthusiast
Major
Threads:
Quote:
The problem plagued San Antonio is in Bahrain for a couple weeks due unacceptable problems with the lube oil system.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/1...ntonio_110608/

Pictures of the faulty welds can be found here.

http://www.coltoncompany.com/newsand...%20Defects.pdf

First of class ships have problems but this ship was just poorly built and the USN never should of accepted it from Northrop-Grumman.
Apparently New Orleans is a mess as well.
kev 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008   #78
Super Moderator
Major General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev 99 View Post
Apparently New Orleans is a mess as well.
I've heard that as well, but the Mesa Verde is in good shape.
Old November 19th, 2008   #79
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
I believe you will discover all of the ships that were under construction where Katrina hit hard will all be lemons. Overnight both shipyards lost a quarter of their trained employees. The employees that stayed ended up with lots of overtime, spending longer days at work. On top of the overtime, their homes were flooded and their roofs destroyed. Its very hard to maintain morale and quality control under these circumstances. Its been a few years, and still New Orleans hasn't recovered completely. Its a wonder the ships weren't sunk by Katrina.
Sea Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008   #80
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Sorry to go back so far but i was interested in the inital article in this post relating to how the carrier USS America was scuttled off the coast by a series of torpedoes, cruise missiles and explosions to replicate the USS Coles experience. After reading into this a bit more i have heard that the US Navy purchased some Sunburn Anti-ship missiles from the russians and i was wanting to know if anyone knew how the scuttling went? What type of munitions were used? If in fact they used sunburn missiles and how they went.

I believe the whole event was kept very hush hush with the results since no american carrier had been directly attacked since WWII and the results of modern cruise missiles on US carriers were not know.

Be very interested to find out, thanks.
aricho87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008   #81
Super Moderator
Major General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricho87 View Post
Sorry to go back so far but i was interested in the inital article in this post relating to how the carrier USS America was scuttled off the coast by a series of torpedoes, cruise missiles and explosions to replicate the USS Coles experience. After reading into this a bit more i have heard that the US Navy purchased some Sunburn Anti-ship missiles from the russians and i was wanting to know if anyone knew how the scuttling went? What type of munitions were used? If in fact they used sunburn missiles and how they went.

I believe the whole event was kept very hush hush with the results since no american carrier had been directly attacked since WWII and the results of modern cruise missiles on US carriers were not know.

You are not going to find much, the whole thing is classified for good reason.
Old November 26th, 2008   #82
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricho87 View Post

AFAIK the ex-USS America was not used as a target. It was a 4 week long test to gather data on the survivability of a super-carrier by placing explosives above water and below water to simulate missile hits, torpedo hits, and small boat attacks. As AegisFC mentioned, the results would be classified.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008   #83
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
AFAIK the ex-USS America was not used as a target. It was a 4 week long test to gather data on the survivability of a super-carrier by placing explosives above water and below water to simulate missile hits, torpedo hits, and small boat attacks. As AegisFC mentioned, the results would be classified.
I think Salty Dogs response best describes what was the final fate of the America. After all that pummeling off and on for 4 weeks she did not sink and was finally sunk bu USN EOD set explosives.

We all would love to see some sort of video or Discovery, NatGeo, Military etc channel presentation of the sinking. But as mentioned the sinking was, is and shall remain classified.
bd popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008   #84
Super Moderator
Major General
Threads:
A lot of articles and new pictures have come out about LCS-1 in the last few weeks as it completes its transit out of the Great Lakes.

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...o/FREEDOM_PANO

A virtual tour of the bridge, bridge wing, berthing (those racks have a lot of room compared to every other enlisted rack in the USN), waterborne mission zone, turbine module, reconfigurable mission zones one and two, hangar (or "airborne mission zone") and RAM deck.

Galrahn from Information Dissemination was on LCS for part of its Great Lakes transit and took quite a few pictures.
Old December 2nd, 2008   #85
Super Moderator
Major General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
I think Salty Dogs response best describes what was the final fate of the America. After all that pummeling off and on for 4 weeks she did not sink and was finally sunk bu USN EOD set explosives.

We all would love to see some sort of video or Discovery, NatGeo, Military etc channel presentation of the sinking. But as mentioned the sinking was, is and shall remain classified.
I doubt anything like that will ever enter into the public domain, it took a FOIA request and lots of lobbing from a veterans group just to get the location of the ex-America.
Old December 2nd, 2008   #86
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
A lot of articles and new pictures have come out about LCS-1 in the last few weeks as it completes its transit out of the Great Lakes.

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...o/FREEDOM_PANO

A virtual tour of the bridge, bridge wing, berthing (those racks have a lot of room compared to every other enlisted rack in the USN), waterborne mission zone, turbine module, reconfigurable mission zones one and two, hangar (or "airborne mission zone") and RAM deck.

Galrahn from Information Dissemination was on LCS for part of its Great Lakes transit and took quite a few pictures.
Excellent material AegisFC and Galrahn. Thank you very much mates, BZ!
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008   #87
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Yea I got tons of pictures from that trip, way too many to post on the blog. Hit the LCS tag on the blog if you want to see my pics from the trip, or if you are looking for something specific let me know, because if I have a photo I can upload it for ya.
Galrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008   #88
Super Moderator
Major General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galrahn View Post
Yea I got tons of pictures from that trip, way too many to post on the blog. Hit the LCS tag on the blog if you want to see my pics from the trip, or if you are looking for something specific let me know, because if I have a photo I can upload it for ya.
Do you have anything on the CIC or CCS? I've heard the ship does not have a traditional CIC but it is directly behind the bridge and the 2 are more integrated than on a normal ship.
Old December 3rd, 2008   #89
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Do you have anything on the CIC or CCS? I've heard the ship does not have a traditional CIC but it is directly behind the bridge and the 2 are more integrated than on a normal ship.
It is called the MCC, Mission Control Center, and it could be more integrated, but that is probably a slogan. It is not directly behind the bridge, but down in the ship.

I can't post any of the pics I took of that specific room, too much information came through the consoles in the pics I took, but David has a picture up on Wired. I do have some stuff on the room I can post though, will dig it up tonight.
Galrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008   #90
Banned Member
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
video

Admin: Deleted. Read the Rules re expected posting behaviour. This is not a forum designed to promote your presence on other links.

Warning issued.

Last edited by Preceptor; December 14th, 2008 at 01:40 AM.
mig3535 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: