Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

US Navy News and updates

This is a discussion on US Navy News and updates within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by contedicavour Good idea to locate all USN news in one thread. Regarding the stopping of DDG-1000 to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.00 average.
Old August 16th, 2008   #31
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by contedicavour View Post
Good idea to locate all USN news in one thread.
Regarding the stopping of DDG-1000 to only 2 ships - I've always been in support of cointinuing the Burke class with a Flight-III series of 20+ with more VLS for cruise missiles instead of building huge arsenal battleships. Yes the technology developed with the 2 ships will be useful, but the USN would never have afforded a sizeable class of DDG-1000s.
IMHO the USN needs lots of Burke and of LCS to support the carriers and the Marines.
However at the moment the USN is really going through rough seas... the Virginia SSNs capped at 4 if I'm not mistaken, the LCS suffering delays and cuts, the DDG-1000 stopping at 2...

cheers

It's actually the Seawolf class SSN which was capped at (3). Quite a few of the Virginia class SSNs will be built as they replace the Los Angeles class SSNs. LCS-1, Freedom is undergoing builders trials.

Cheers
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008   #32
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
It will be the third DDG-1000 destroyer, though http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...9?symbol=RTN.N
baranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008   #33
Banned Member
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Question

George Washington Departs San Diego for Japan
http://www.navycompass.com/content/view/746/326/

Quote:
The aircraft carrier been docked in San Diego since late May after a ship board fire caused 70-million dollars in damage. The ship's commanding officer, Captain David Dykhoff was relieved of his duties after the incident. He was replaced by Captain J.R. Haley.
The Washington (CVN 73) is expected to arrive in Japan in late September where the deployment has already triggered protests over the use of nuclear power.
Last month more than 13-thousand Japanese protested, many sensitive about the military use of nuclear technology. The U.S. atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945 killed at least 200,000. But the Navy has said the George Washington's fire, which left one sailor with minor burns and 23 others with heat stress, never threatened the safety of the ship's nuclear reactor.
http://www.kogo.com/cc-common/news/s...rticle=4132100
So, what exactly caused that fire?
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008   #34
Super Moderator
Major General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
George Washington Departs San Diego for Japan
http://www.navycompass.com/content/view/746/326/

So, what exactly caused that fire?
See post #23 in this thread.
Old August 25th, 2008   #35
Banned Member
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Cool

I've read it before but wondered if there is anything new on that out. I suspect that there were other causes. On long cruises/transits with exotic port calls some in the crew become complacent and less disciplined.
Well, I'll have to use my own contacts to find more.. stay tuned!
Old August 25th, 2008   #36
Super Moderator
Major General
Threads:
Quote:
I've read it before but wondered if there is anything new on that out. I suspect that there were other causes. On long cruises/transits with exotic port calls some in the crew become complacent and less disciplined.
Well, I'll have to use my own contacts to find more.. stay tuned!
There isn't any big mystery. Some crew members were smoking in an unauthorized space rather than the smoke deck, their happened to be some illicit hazmat in the space as well that the CPO and Division Officers didn't catch or turned a blind eye on, a fire happened and that was it.
Old August 29th, 2008   #37
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by contedicavour View Post
Good idea to locate all USN news in one thread.
Regarding the stopping of DDG-1000 to only 2 ships - I've always been in support of cointinuing the Burke class with a Flight-III series of 20+ with more VLS for cruise missiles instead of building huge arsenal battleships. Yes the technology developed with the 2 ships will be useful, but the USN would never have afforded a sizeable class of DDG-1000s.
IMHO the USN needs lots of Burke and of LCS to support the carriers and the Marines.
However at the moment the USN is really going through rough seas... the Virginia SSNs capped at 4 if I'm not mistaken, the LCS suffering delays and cuts, the DDG-1000 stopping at 2...

cheers
Not 100% approved, but there is a possibility of a 3rd DDG-1000 and/or continuation of DDG-51 new builds.

Navy to Seek Third Stealth Destroyer
Old August 29th, 2008   #38
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Navy Wants New Laser Weapons

August 18, 2008
DoD Buzz|by Greg Grant

The Office of Naval Research held its annual partnership with industry conference this week here in Washington, DC. The envelope-pushing Navy lab is particularly keen on developing "game changing" laser beam and hypervelocity rail gun weapons. Much of the available funding is for early phase modeling and simulation.
Some interesting laser and energy weapons for the future as well as development of next generation air launched missiles.

Read the full article.
Old September 4th, 2008   #39
Banned Member
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Reagan Launches First Sorties
http://www.military.com/news/article...t-sorties.html

Patrol Coastal Ships Returned to Navy
http://www.military.com/news/article...d-to-navy.html

Well, I didn't know they were swapping ships! http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/0304.htm

Sometimes their roles overlap- CG ships going overseas and USN ships doing CP missions!

40 years after capture, USS Pueblo crew reunites
http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=333343

I wonder how long that ship can sit in the water without drydocking? They may incase it in concrete like IJN Mikasa!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Mikasa

Last edited by Firehorse; September 9th, 2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: add article, question
Old September 12th, 2008   #40
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Navy Awards $5 Billion Contract for Future Aircraft Carrier USS Gerald R. Ford
Story Number: NNS080911-04

Release Date: 9/11/2008 6:35:00 AM

From Naval Sea System Command Public Affairs

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- The Navy awarded a $5.1 billion contract to Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding Newport News Sept. 10 for the detail design and construction of the future USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78), the lead ship in the Navy's newest class of aircraft carrier.

Under this contract, Northrop Grumman will complete the detail design and construction of CVN 78, which includes engineering; integration; related development efforts including drawing and work package development; advanced planning; design weight estimate; lifecycle support products and related logistics data; production planning; test and evaluation; further definition of initiatives to reduce CVN 78 class total ownership costs; and data necessary to support construction of CVN 78.

"This is an exciting day for the CVN 78 Program Office and for the Navy," said Capt. Brian Antonio, CVN 78 program manager in the Program Executive Office for Aircraft Carriers.

"When USS Gerald R. Ford is delivered to the fleet in 2015, it will bring superior warfighting capability and meaningful quality-of-life improvements for Sailors, in addition to greatly reduced lifecycle costs. Most important, CVN 78-class carriers will be able to adapt and evolve to defend this nation and our allies well into the 21st century," he said.

CVN 78 is the Navy's first major investment in aircraft carrier design in more than three decades and features many improvements over the 1960's Nimitz-class design. CVN 78 includes a new flight deck with an improved weapons handling system, advanced arresting gear, a completely re-engineered electro-magnetic aircraft launch system, new and simplified nuclear propulsion plants, a new electrical power generation system and reconfigurable design architecture.

"Together, these improvements provide transformational warfighting capabilities and enable reduced manning, ultimately reducing the total ownership cost of each Ford-class carrier by approximately $5 billion over the life of the ship," said Antonio.

CVN 78 was officially named Gerald R. Ford by the Secretary of the Navy in January 2007 and will be constructed in Newport News, Va. The keel is scheduled to be laid in late 2009, and the ship is scheduled to be delivered to the Navy in 2015. The Navy plans to build 11 Ford-class aircraft carriers, and construction of Ford-class aircraft carriers is projected to continue through 2058.
USS Gerald R. Ford, CVN-78, the next generation CVN is closer towards reality.
Old September 12th, 2008   #41
Major
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
USS Gerald R. Ford, CVN-78, the next generation CVN is closer towards reality.
expensive 5.1 Billion for 1 ship
Old September 12th, 2008   #42
Private First Class
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryriedl View Post
expensive 5.1 Billion for 1 ship

...that can be blown away by just one torpedo...
Onkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008   #43
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Actually, it costs more, as it's a multi contract deal, this is just one part of it. Whole ship should cost in the region of 8 billion dollars, if there's no cost overruns. Plus some 5 billion for R&D for all the new technologies and design work.

And actually it can't be blown away by just one torpedo. I could perhaps be neutralized with one VERY lucky shot. In real world scenario, though, it'd require several hits to be neutralized and several more to be blown away, or sunk. It's just too large and too compartmentalized for a single torpedo to be its doom.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008   #44
Banned Member
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Smile

Unless it has a nuclear warhead! The same goes for AShMs and mines. But as the article I posted on another tread, EW UAVs can jamm sat nav on naval aircraft trying to find their CVN, and those planes wiil have to divert to land bases- a totally different ball game!
Old September 12th, 2008   #45
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Unless it has a nuclear warhead! The same goes for AShMs and mines. But as the article I posted on another tread, EW UAVs can jamm sat nav on naval aircraft trying to find their CVN, and those planes wiil have to divert to land bases- a totally different ball game!
There are numerous other methods the CVW can find their way back to the bird farm. Just like in the good old days before satnav was around. No big deal!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: