Torpedo thread

f-22fan12

Some tv shows that I have watched show the development of a torpedo called "barracuda" with that supercavitation tech. Sounds pretty dangerous for USN carriers.

Last edited:

aaaditya

From what I've read:

Australia - Mk 48 Mod 6/7 for the collins
Taiwan - SUT (produced by Indonesia) for the hai lungs
Indonesia - SUT/SST-3 for the cakras
Malaysia - blackshark for the scorpene
Singapore - Type 617 and 43X2 for the challengers (rumours of upgrade to blackshark)
Pakistan - ECAN F17 mod 2 for the agostas
China - test 71 and 53-65KE for the kilos, Yu class torps for the locally manufactured subs
India - test 71 incl ME/ME-NK and 53-65K for the sindhughosh (previously SUT mod 1 for the shishumars)
Japan - type 89 for the harushios/oyashios
S Korea - LG K731 Whiteshark/ SUT mod 2s for the changbogos
N Korea - Yu class torpedoes for the romeos
india has also developed indihenous torpedos known as shneya light weight torpedo ,which is also known as aet( advanced experimental torpedo),this is a short ranged air launched and small vessel launched light weight torpedo.this torpedo has undergone extensive user trials and has been selected by the indian navy,it i to be produced by the bdl9bharat dynamics limited).

india is also developing two types of torpedos known as thakshak and varunastra .

thakshak is a thermal heavyweight torpedo in the range class of blackshark and russian heavy torpedos,it is undergoing user trials,varunastra is developmental project for a long range torpedo.

aaaditya

india has also placed an order for the french blackshark torpedos for use with its scorpene class of submarines,these torpedos are to be manufactured by bdl .

india is also interested in acquiring the wass mu-90 eurotorp,this torpedo was offered to the indian navy a couple of years back.an indian private company mahindra defence systems has signed an agreement with wass for joint design and developments of torpedos and also for providing maintainence support to the torpedos developed by wass.

there were reports earlier that india is also looking to jointly develop torpedos with kazhakistan ,the torpedo projects offered by kazhakisthan for joint development are the kazy and kinzal.

i tried searching a lot for information on these two torpedo projects as well as other kazhakistani designed and developed torpedos but could not find any substantial information on them.

i would realy appreciate it if anyone could give any information or links to sites providing info on kazakhi torpedos in general and kazy and kinzal particular.

orko_8

Turkish Navy: Mk44, Mk46, Mk54 (From FFG's and S-70B-28 SeaHawk), DM2A4 (from Gur class SSK's), SST / SUT (from Ay class), Mk37 (Ay, Preveze classes), Mk24 TigerFish (Preveze class), L5 (Aviso A-69)

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
Sweden:
Light Torpedo 43:
Diameter: 400 mm.
Length: 2,5 meter.
Wieght: ca 270 kg.
Speed: 30-50 knots.

Light Torpedo 451:
Diameter: 400 mm.
Length: 2,5 m
Weight: ca 270 kg.
Speed: 30-50 knots.

Made for ASW and self-defence. Both can be launched by sub, heli, ship. They are wire-guided. Have own seekers. 451 has a more advanced seeker specified on ASW, it's seeker works both in passive and active mode.

Heavy Torpedo 613:
Diameter: 570 mm.
Length: 7 m
Weight: ca 1800 kg (approx. 300 kg explosives).
Range: More than 15 km.
Speed: 30-50 knop.

Heavy Torpedo 62: (Saab underwater systems Torpedo 2000)
Diameter: 533 mm
Length: 6 m
Weight: ca 1450 kg
Speed: +45 knots
Range: More than 50 km

Lets just say that the 62 is pretty neat... almost an autonomous suicidal UUV with a big bomb. :vamp

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
From what I've read:

Australia - Mk 48 Mod 6/7 for the collins
Taiwan - SUT (produced by Indonesia) for the hai lungs
Indonesia - SUT/SST-3 for the cakras
Malaysia - blackshark for the scorpene
Singapore - Type 617 and 43X2 for the challengers (rumours of upgrade to blackshark)
Pakistan - ECAN F17 mod 2 for the agostas
China - test 71 and 53-65KE for the kilos, Yu class torps for the locally manufactured subs
India - test 71 incl ME/ME-NK and 53-65K for the sindhughosh (previously SUT mod 1 for the shishumars)
Japan - type 89 for the harushios/oyashios
S Korea - LG K731 Whiteshark/ SUT mod 2s for the changbogos
N Korea - Yu class torpedoes for the romeos
For ASW, Australia currently uses the Mk 46.

HMAS Toowoomba tossed the first MU 90 torpedo over the side in June, as part of the testing and evaluation program. There are no concrete plans as to how far it will be integrated at this stage.

submerged

Some tv shows that I have watched show the development of a torpedo called "barracuda" with that supercavitation tech. Sounds pretty dangerous for USN carriers.
If you're referring to the Russian Shkvall, it's a left-over from the cold war developed in the 60's/70's with no guidance, just speed, and assumed to have a nuclear warhead mounted to act as a blind firing weapon, recently the russians have been working on a modified version with a guidance system, alltho i don't see how it's gonna work properly with the amount of flownoise etc. the supercavitating is likely to generate, anyone any ideas on that?

Jon K

Articles about DM2A4 Seehecht say it is possible to use it as a ROV for reconnaissance. However, do the subs also operate system capable of taking the torpedo back to the tube, or is it only for one-off missions? Is the battery rechargeable? Is it possible to further develop it into an AUV? Will the mission bay also hold EO reconnaissance elements or mine neutralization modules?

Anyway, it seems Germans and USN are leading the innovation front in submarine armament.

orko_8

Articles about DM2A4 Seehecht say it is possible to use it as a ROV for reconnaissance. However, do the subs also operate system capable of taking the torpedo back to the tube, or is it only for one-off missions? Is the battery rechargeable? Is it possible to further develop it into an AUV? Will the mission bay also hold EO reconnaissance elements or mine neutralization modules?

Anyway, it seems Germans and USN are leading the innovation front in submarine armament.
Training rounds have positive buoyancy, i.e come up to the surface after being used while actual rounds have negative buoyancy, ie sink after running out of fuel. I think training rounds have the possibility to be used for recon. duties, but they must be diverted to a rmote coordinate away from the enemy targets in order not to endanger the submarine. AFter the misson they can be recollected by divers launched from the submarine I guess.

I don't know if the batteries are rechargable, but I think they can. In any case, DM2A4 has a modular design which enables ease of maintenance and changing of battery sections.

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
HMAS Waller test fires Mk 48 Mod 7

The new heavyweight torpedo, jointly developed by Australia and the US, was fired yesterday during the Rim of the Pacific 2008 (RIMPAC 08) exercise.

Multiple navies are taking part in the exercise off the coast of Hawaii, which featured the planned sinking of a retired US warship.

The MK 48 Mod 7 Common Broadband Advanced Sonar System (CBASS) torpedo is considered the world's premier submarine-launched torpedo.
There is a video on that webpage, for those who like to have a stickybeak.

riksavage

Banned Member
A ships crews worst nightmare, most modern torpedoes are designed to break the back of a ship causing catastrophic damage resulting in a hasty trip to the bottom – regardless of whether the watertight doors are sealed or not!

Today a lot of focus appears to be on mitigating supersonic sea-skimming missiles with Gucci multilayered solutions rather than devoting time to the next generation of ASW on ships / helicopters. Looking at that video, coupled with the capabilities of modern heavyweight torpedoes and their submarine delivery systems, I know which threat scares sh*t out of me the most. At least you stand a remote chance of surviving a missile strike and staying afloat long enough to abandon ship!

The fact that some navies have neglected their ASW platforms in recent years continues to gob-smack me (Aus Seasprite fiasco for example).

Super Nimrod

Agree with what you are saying, you can almost make the case for there being a degree of overkill with the modern heavyweight torpedo as it sinks the vessel very fast. As a consequence it won't delay the surface fleet for long on rescue missions and hence slow them down. If you remember during the Falklands war (sorry) the RN had to divert scarce and valuable resources often for days to attempt to save lives and try to save heavily damaged ships that had been struck my missiles or bombs. As a counterpoint to that though I guess the modern torpedoes need to have large warheads to overcome pressure when fired against submarines at theoretical depths of up to 2000 feet.

No one has yet mentioned the Spearfish, where does that fit into the big picture in terms of capability ?

riksavage

Banned Member
Spearfish is a 'beast' by all RN accounts
Speed: 70 knots (128 km/h)
Range: 30 nautical miles (54 km)
Has the orthodox HWT diameter of 21in, is a little over 20ft in length and weighs nearly two tons.

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The fact that some navies have neglected their ASW platforms in recent years continues to gob-smack me (Aus Seasprite fiasco for example).
The SeaSprite wasn't really an ASW helo. The real ASW workhorse is the S-70B-2 Seahawk, deployed aboard the Adelaide-class. At the end of the day, the 1405 upgrade for the Seahawk is coming along nicely, regardless of the initial delays.

Anyway, this thread is about torpedoes, and I'm getting off-topic.

As far as I am aware, the RAN hasn't started trying the MU-90 on their ASW helicopters yet, although they have bigger fish to fry right now (pardon the pun). Looks like it'll go to the surface fleet first.