Torpedo question

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
How would a ship defend itself against a wake-homing torpedo?
unlikely to get expanded detail on a public forum for obvious reasons

however, broadly speaking - noisemakers, decoys, seducers etc.....

other capabilities exist but not for discussion in this environment

barney41

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
unlikely to get expanded detail on a public forum for obvious reasons

however, broadly speaking - noisemakers, decoys, seducers etc.....

other capabilities exist but not for discussion in this environment
I understand, wasn't expecting specifics. I was under the impression that said torpedo would ignore conventional noisemakers and such. AFAIK CVNs will be installing a hard-kill anti-torpedo system soon though it will take a decade or so to outfit all flattops. No indications yet that the Surface Fleet and Gators will get the system.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
A gentle reminder to all posting in this thread. The posting of one-liners is a violation of Rule 2 of the Forum Rules. On occasion, the Mod Team may tolerate a post with one-line; but not all the time.

For new members or members with less than 50 posts, if you post a one-liner in this thread, it will be deleted. Thank you for your attention.

colay1

This article seemed relevant to question posed in this thread. If this is accurate then my understanding of Nixie capabilities needs to be expanded.

Argon ST gets U.S. Navy torpedo decoy contract modification - UPI.com

Argon ST gets U.S. Navy torpedo decoy contract modification

The decoy, also known as "Nixie," is a modular, digitally controlled, electro-acoustic soft-kill countermeasure system. It uses an underwater towed body acoustic projector, deployed astern by a fiber optic tow cable. The system defends ships against wake homing, acoustic homing and wire-guided torpedoes

rossfrb_1

A purported hard kill solution is the MU90 Hard Kill LWT
MU 90/IMPACT - Eurotorp
"A specific MU90 Hard-Kill version anti-torpedo-torpedo has also been developed."

How effective it is I don't know.
Who has it I don't know.

It was touted as a potential capability back when the RAN first acquired the MU90.

rb

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This article seemed relevant to question posed in this thread. If this is accurate then my understanding of Nixie capabilities needs to be expanded.

Argon ST gets U.S. Navy torpedo decoy contract modification - UPI.com

Argon ST gets U.S. Navy torpedo decoy contract modification

The decoy, also known as "Nixie," is a modular, digitally controlled, electro-acoustic soft-kill countermeasure system. It uses an underwater towed body acoustic projector, deployed astern by a fiber optic tow cable. The system defends ships against wake homing, acoustic homing and wire-guided torpedoes
Nixie has been around for yonks and yonks....

colay1

A purported hard kill solution is the MU90 Hard Kill LWT
MU 90/IMPACT - Eurotorp
"A specific MU90 Hard-Kill version anti-torpedo-torpedo has also been developed."

How effective it is I don't know.
Who has it I don't know.

It was touted as a potential capability back when the RAN first acquired the MU90.

rb
There is this system which showed good results in developmental testing some 3 years back. One can imagine they have matured the tech in the ensuing years and perhaps a formal acquisition program is forthcoming?

Pendekar

I guess some kind of remotely piloted wake generator. If, as i suspected, the wake homing torpedo didn't detect sound wave, I think It actually detect a turbulence in the water generated by the ship's wake. I can think of several non-acoustic ways of detecting such turbulence. but It also mean's the torpedo can only detect the wake when it actually inside the wake.

The torpedo run straight until it intersect a ship's wake. When it detected that it's entering the wake, the control system will trigger a control surface to make a turn. The torpedo will keep turning until it again intersect a wake, and then it'll turn in the opposite direction. The torpedo will swim in a S pattern up the wake until it hit the but end of the ship.

The weakness is, how the torpedo know which way to turn when it detect a wake. It may turn the wrong way and chasing the wake away from the ship. I guess the launching ship may have to get into a certain position relative to target and preset the torpedo to turn in which direction when it intersect the wake.

So i think the best method of decoying the wake homing torpedo is by using some sort of remotely piloted wake generator that create another wake for the torpedo to chase after.