Thailand Unmanned Underwater Vehicles

blackknight

Despite not being at war, Thailand’s navy’s lack of funding to purchase submarines has forced it to be overshadowed by neighbouring Singapore and Malaysia. In 2010 they did develop and manufactured 3 UUVs (unmanned underwater vehicle).

Now key players in the industry are coming forward, not just in Thailand but in all SE Asia.

Atlas and Saab are the major players currently proposing their unmanned underwater systems, and recently other foreign firms such as Alliance UAV Robotics consultants are bringing GATE Elektronik underwater systems to the attention of SE Asian naval forces.

Just like in the air I believe unmanned systems will play an important role in future warfare, also the civil sector will benefit a lot from this kind of technology.;)

STURM

Despite not being at war, Thailand’s navy’s lack of funding to purchase submarines has forced it to be overshadowed by neighbouring Singapore and Malaysia.
It's interesting to note that Thailand was the 1st regional country to operate submarines; she received a handful of Mitsubishi subs in the 1930's and operated them until the early 1950's. In the 1980's she was offered Romeo's by China at 'friendship' prices and more recently came close to getting former Bundersmarine Type 206s.

In 2010 they did develop and manufactured 3 UUVs (unmanned underwater vehicle).
More recently they developed their own anti-submarine mines.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pat...-two-new-anti-submarine-mines-off-ship-coast/

blackknight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hello Sturm,

Thank you for sharing your very accurate historical information! I was aware of their recent anti-submarine mine development.
I believe from a budgeting point of view it makes sense for the Royal Thai Navy to deploy unmanned underwater vehicles, however those systems have their limitations when compared to unmanned aerial vehicles when it comes to navigational electronic transmissions.
Atlas has some interesting new developments as far as Submarines are concerned, you can visit their site for more details about new products.