Supercavitation.

I remember reading about how supercavitation was almost here and it would make possible subs zooming about at 600mph and making everything else obsolete and pointless.

So, where's my 600mph supercatitating luxury pleasure super sub?

t68

I remember reading about how supercavitation was almost here and it would make possible subs zooming about at 600mph and making everything else obsolete and pointless.

most likely in the same place as the Russian Typhoon Red October

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

I think this technology is more for torpedoes than subs. AFAIK, maintaining the bubbles around the torpedo is essential for these high speeds and any directional changes result in the bubble formation collapsing.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That thing is going to make a racket so no more Silent Service. Speed will supplant stealth as a sub's defining attribute.

US Navy is developing 'supersonic submarine' that could cut through the ocean | Daily Mail Online
the US was actually the first to test super cavitating torpedoes - they did it in the early 70's under work done by Dr John Sirmalis

the difference is that there are new processors, comms, capabilities that didn't exist then which would have made it more viable

there are still limits to the capability though