Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1621a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_1726a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0074a1.JPG

Miramar_14_FA-18C_0409a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Sub launched surface to air missiles - how useful?

This is a discussion on Sub launched surface to air missiles - how useful? within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Although sub launched MANPADS have been around for a while, they were not widely adopted. The Israeli's reportedly had Blowpipes ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old November 26th, 2012   #1
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
Sub launched surface to air missiles - how useful?

Although sub launched MANPADS have been around for a while, they were not widely adopted. The Israeli's reportedly had Blowpipes on their subs and the Soviets had Strelas that could only be fired on the surface.

More recently DCNS is offering a sub launched version of Mistral and Diehl the IDAS that can be launched underwater. Assuming these and other future systems work as advertised and are widely deployed over the next decade, will it change the way ASW is conducted? Will helicopters with dipping sonars and torps be willing to conduct ASW duties in the knowledge that the hunted sub may be able to hit back? Or will this eventually lead to navies drawing up a requirement again for stand off ASW platforms like MILAS, Silex the retired Ikara?

Last edited by STURM; November 26th, 2012 at 02:36 AM.
STURM is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
South Korean navy ship sunk by North? furymonkey Geo-strategic Issues 154 July 14th, 2010 12:09 PM
Upgraded F-15Cs to shoulder 50% of Air Dominance burden GI-Gizmo Air Force & Aviation 3 April 16th, 2010 01:30 PM
Range of NATO air to air missiles der_Master Air Force & Aviation 14 June 15th, 2009 03:30 PM
Future Development of GCC Air Forces; Part 1 waraich Military Strategy and Tactics 0 April 1st, 2009 07:06 AM
Saudi Air Force F-15S in Red Flag eaf-f16 Air Force & Aviation 22 July 11th, 2008 11:24 AM

Old November 26th, 2012   #2
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
There have also been a couple of successful underwater firings of the AIM-9X, with the target set apparently intended to include small surface vessels in addition to air targets.

I brought this up a while ago on another forum and the response I got seemed to indicate that while such developments were interesting and may give a submarine some additional flexibility in certain situations, it would be more of a last resort when it comes to responding to ASW helos, as the launch of the missile would give away sonar data to any other ASW platforms in the area. From my understanding a dedicated ASW package is going to include multiple helos/surface vessels running search patterns, and for a submarine to fire off a weapon in the midst of that would be highly hazardous.

One of the others on here with more knowledge might be able to tell you more.

Underwater AIM-9X
Bonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Agreed, a hunted sub is going to be deep and coming up that close to the surface is pretty much a final act. Plunking one of these out inside a bubble is interesting but I have no idea how it "Orients" itself to the target after reaching the surface, unless it just rotates around until it "See's" something.
PCShogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012   #4
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
its about tactical context if you want to argue utility

otherwise you're doing an Alexander Graham Bell

Lots of concepts have been tried and tested, eg Iris-T

again, its about tactical context to establish relevance

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012   #5
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
No Avatar
Threads:
I suppose it would be good for a vindictive blaze of glory when you know you are not getting out of the situation you are in. Fire everything at anything and see what happens.
Volkodav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014   #6
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Resurrecting:

According to Europäische Sicherheit und Technik 08/14 the German Navy will finalize an outline for a "functional capability requirement" for a sub-launched surface-to-air missile until the end of this year, with this requirement to be tendered in 2015.

So, basically, IDAS is back on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCShogun View Post
Plunking one of these out inside a bubble is interesting but I have no idea how it "Orients" itself to the target after reaching the surface, unless it just rotates around until it "See's" something.
IDAS requires target bearing and distance to be provided by the launching submarine for initial orientation; IIR seeker after breaking surface then evaluates all targets in FOV for confirmation/selection by operator.
kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014   #7
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
This got kicked around on another forum for a fair while and the general conclusion of the assembled sub community was that the things you needed to be doing to generate an attack on an aircraft would be pretty much contrary to the things you'd need to be doing if you were trying to avoid being prosecuted by an aircraft.

So, bit of a conflict of interests there - certainly, a niche capability.
StobieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014   #8
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StobieWan View Post
This got kicked around on another forum for a fair while and the general conclusion of the assembled sub community was that the things you needed to be doing to generate an attack on an aircraft would be pretty much contrary to the things you'd need to be doing if you were trying to avoid being prosecuted by an aircraft.

So, bit of a conflict of interests there - certainly, a niche capability.
I think at some minimum threshold of effectiveness, it becomes something worthwhile.

If you can pop up and engage an aircraft before it can engage you (not entirely out of the realm of possibility...an ASW torpedo engagement is far from instantaneous), you've got something.

Reason is, aircraft also like to congregate where subs ability to go deep and hide or sprint off in random directions is limited (ie chokepoints, which also tend to be shallower). Still far fetched, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see it become a real capability at the end of the next few decades.
CB90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014   #9
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
I wonder if there'd be any potential for a dual-purpose munition for light coastal strike or (relatively) low cost missile boat plinking. What do you think CB? I don't know if the idea has any legs, as the risk of exposing an expensive and highly effective sub for the sake of hitting much lighter targets doesn't sound like it's very efficient from a risk-reward perspective.
Old August 14th, 2014   #10
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonza View Post
I wonder if there'd be any potential for a dual-purpose munition for light coastal strike or (relatively) low cost missile boat plinking. What do you think CB? I don't know if the idea has any legs, as the risk of exposing an expensive and highly effective sub for the sake of hitting much lighter targets doesn't sound like it's very efficient from a risk-reward perspective.
Might make much more sense if its fired from a UUV. Then why not. If you can fire and forget, and have some way of getting it far away (30 - 50 km) from where you are (torpedo?). By the time or if they can get another into the air you could hauling away into a much bigger box. In some cases they may only have one bird, so knocking it out may dramatically increase the odds.
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014   #11
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Check this out:

Navy Launches UAV from Submerged Submarine - U.S. Naval Research Laboratory

If you can launch a UAV, you can launch a small missile.

I've also seen the idea of a laser/DEW get kicked around as well. Far off stuff, but there's definitely interest in broadening the SSN's toolbox.
CB90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014   #12
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB90 View Post
Check this out:

Navy Launches UAV from Submerged Submarine - U.S. Naval Research Laboratory

If you can launch a UAV, you can launch a small missile.

I've also seen the idea of a laser/DEW get kicked around as well. Far off stuff, but there's definitely interest in broadening the SSN's toolbox.
Very interesting, thanks for the link. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with sub-launched unmanned vehicles (whether flying or swimming) in the next five years. A fully networked drone fleet supported by a large nuclear boat could be a very frightening thing indeed...
Old August 15th, 2014   #13
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Very interesting, thanks for the link. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with sub-launched unmanned vehicles (whether flying or swimming) in the next five years. A fully networked drone fleet supported by a large nuclear boat could be a very frightening thing indeed...
Already been trialled by USS Florida a few years back..... no public info since then

Old August 15th, 2014   #14
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
I wonder if there'd be any potential for a dual-purpose munition for light coastal strike or (relatively) low cost missile boat plinking. What do you think CB?
The closest I can think of was the now canceled Polyhem which was intended to deal with air and surface targets. Not sure if it was canceled to a lack of interest or for other reasons.
STURM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014   #15
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STURM View Post
The closest I can think of was the now canceled Polyhem which was intended to deal with air and surface targets. Not sure if it was canceled to a lack of interest or for other reasons.
Lack of interest and other tech developments came along

USS Florida conducted both VLS and tube launched UAV's in trials

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: