Spanish Navy Frigate Cristobal Colon (F-105): Close-In Weapon System (CIWS)

rojoygualda

I would be very grateful if someone could clarify whether the inclusion of the gun BAE MK 38 Mod 2 MGS of 25 mm on board the Spanish Navy frigate F-105, fifth and last unit of the F-100 Series Alvaro de Bazan Class, is done replacing the guns Meroka 2B of 20 mm as the vessel Close-In Weapon System (CIWS) or, on the contrary, it is a complementary defensive system against asymmetric threats, such as fast and agile surface targets. Thank you very much.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I would be very grateful if someone could clarify whether the inclusion of the gun BAE MK 38 Mod 2 MGS of 25 mm on board the Spanish Navy frigate F-105, fifth and last unit of the F-100 Series Alvaro de Bazan Class, is done replacing the guns Meroka 2B of 20 mm as the vessel Close-In Weapon System (CIWS) or, on the contrary, it is a complementary defensive system against asymmetric threats, such as fast and agile surface targets. Thank you very much.
AFAIK the Mk 38 Mod 2 is designed primarily to engage smallcraft, while the Meroka 2B is a CIWS for use vs. AShM primarily, with some utilization against aircraft, smallcraft and other targets. The Mk 242 25 mm chain gun used in the Mk 38 Mod 2 has a fairly low ROF (~200 RPM IIRC) and would therefore be of very limited use against aerial targets except for helicopters, and even then...

From what I have come across about the Mk 38 Mod 2, is that it is non-deck penetrating, and has its own integrated sensors and power systems and is capable of automated and manual operations. Such an arrangement would make it an ideal 'pool' weapon, where instead of each vessel needing to have such weapons permanently mounted, a pool of Mk 38 Mod 2's can be maintained. When a particular vessel is going to be deployed to an area where FIAC threats exist, one or more weapons from the pool could be mounted. Much like the Phalanx Mk 15 CIWS can be swapped between vessels with appropriate mountings.

-Cheers

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Unless i am greatly mistaken the Mk38s are replacing the 20mms mounted on the bridge wings of the first four F-100s. The RANs Hobarts have Typhoons inplace of the 20mms and Phalanx inplace of Meroka

Jhom

The Alvaro de Bazán class doesnt carry any kind of hard hitting CIWS, there is provision for a Meroka, but thats it, the Armada considers the SM-2 and the RIM-162 to be enougth to protect the ship.

(That and the fact that there is no money to put Merokas in each ship)