Simple recruitment questions from a kid.

cwburke

Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I am 21 years old. I am currently a Marine Affairs major at the University of Rhode Island and have been thinking recently about future plans. As it has been a consistent thought in my head to join the military since I was a sophomore in high school, I feel time has come for me to commit to a branch in particular, since I will be graduating next spring (2018). I want to make it clear that I know very little about the Navy (comparatively), and the military in general, but I have been doing my research and am coming to favor this branch over the others. I understand as an Eagle Scout I am eligible to become an E-3 after basic training, but what about my 4-year degree? Is that eligible for anything? I think I read somewhere that people with a 4-year bachelors degree from a qualifying school can become an E-4 after basic training in the Army...is this true? What is the highest I could become after basic training? I understand many people envy and look down on Eagle Scouts in the military, but I am here to find out the best my own life experiences can do for me. Any comments, criticism, suggestions, etc.. is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I am 21 years old. I am currently a Marine Affairs major at the University of Rhode Island and have been thinking recently about future plans. As it has been a consistent thought in my head to join the military since I was a sophomore in high school, I feel time has come for me to commit to a branch in particular, since I will be graduating next spring (2018). I want to make it clear that I know very little about the Navy (comparatively), and the military in general, but I have been doing my research and am coming to favor this branch over the others. I understand as an Eagle Scout I am eligible to become an E-3 after basic training, but what about my 4-year degree? Is that eligible for anything? I think I read somewhere that people with a 4-year bachelors degree from a qualifying school can become an E-4 after basic training in the Army...is this true? What is the highest I could become after basic training? I understand many people envy and look down on Eagle Scouts in the military, but I am here to find out the best my own life experiences can do for me. Any comments, criticism, suggestions, etc.. is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Gidday Chris and welcome to the forum. This is an international forum that is not US centric, so we are not really able to help you with US specific advice. Having said that, there are a couple of posters on here who are US and who may have some knowledge. I would think that your best course of action would be to speak to a careers advisor and a recruiting officer, plus someone you know, or know of who has been in the forces. Have you spoken to the ROTC people at your university? Maybe that's a place to start. Anyway good luck with your endeavours.