Shipboard Internet

Big-E

Banned Member
I recieved notice I will be recalled to sea duty come the New Year. Good Bye Broadband hello crappy internet. Needless to say I won't be on much if ever. I haven't tried a shipboard SAT connection in years but it was sometimes impossible to stay on for 20 seconds before being bumped. The usage of bandwidth aboard a CVN for ship functions already takes up most of it, with over 6000 souls fighting for time it is amazing anybody ever gets on. Does anyone know if other nation's Navys have it any better? Do any of you other squiddies have it better aboard smaller ships? Is current shipboard IT better than it was 3 years ago?

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

I recieved notice I will be recalled to sea duty come the New Year. Good Bye Broadband hello crappy internet. Needless to say I won't be on much if ever. I haven't tried a shipboard SAT connection in years but it was sometimes impossible to stay on for 20 seconds before being bumped. The usage of bandwidth aboard a CVN for ship functions already takes up most of it, with over 6000 souls fighting for time it is amazing anybody ever gets on. Does anyone know if other nation's Navys have it any better? Do any of you other squiddies have it better aboard smaller ships? Is current shipboard IT better than it was 3 years ago?
A RAN Sailor, ThePuss, posts here occasionally from his ship, but even on his Adelaide Class Frigate, with it's FAR smaller manning levels, the internet access is limited at best, so don't feel too bad...

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
First Arliegh Burke I was on (USS Stout) back in 2001 only had the one M-RSAT antenna that gave us very, very, very slow internet, right before I left that ship it got the new SHF antennas that is much faster (but still no where near high speed) and the current AB I am on has it as well.

Right now I am in a similar situation, dealing with really slow internet that often looses the sat uplink but we only have a few hundred people fighting for bandwidth not a medium sized city.

contedicavour

I hope connection will be fast enough for you to remain connected ! I can't imagine this forum without Big-E's posts :(

Cheers !

aaaditya

i definitely feel that it is a big security risk having the internet on board a naval vessel and the crew members having access to the internet .

adroth

Philippine Navy personnel who stayed on board visiting US Navy vessels were given internet access, and even their own email accounts. I didn't hear any complaints -- then again, "fast internet" can be a relative term.

Big-E

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i definitely feel that it is a big security risk having the internet on board a naval vessel and the crew members having access to the internet .
While we are given our own accounts they are by no means private. E-mails are screened on a regular basis, messenger services and CHAT are forbidden. There are strict policies in the SORM of every vessel. The Internet is a priveledge and if you cannot follow the communication guidelines outlined in the SORM you will lose them. Relaying the schedule of any ship will catch your ass in the brig.

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A RAN Sailor, ThePuss, posts here occasionally from his ship, but even on his Adelaide Class Frigate, with it's FAR smaller manning levels, the internet access is limited at best, so don't feel too bad...
Can't post from sea anymore, can only read the forum. I now have to wait until ashore from a civvie terminal to post, it's all to do with the DRN. Some of our ships have changed over to dual channel broadband internet access while at sea. All those doing Gulf trips are now fitted along with Foxtel.
On the old girl Adelaide we still make do with old dial up speeds.
Cheers